• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Shade and the Habanero

So out of my 3 Habanero plants I noticed something interesting. Having ran out of room under my shade cloth, 2 were relegated to what I thought was a less than optimal location that doesn't get much direct sun. Perhaps just 3 hours or so late in the afternoon if that. What has occurred is worth noting.
-
The sun soaked plant has a a lot of pods for its size but the leaves are sparse and lean more towards the yellow spectrum. The shady ones have a thick, deep-green flat canopy and slightly fewer pods. Both plants are pretty short and the shady ones are for sure not stretching in the least.
-
So it seems its not one-size-fits all per species when it comes to sun. A few others varieties I have in the shade don't appear optimal but are doing so-so.
-
So for those with limited sun exposure, Orange Habaneros may be worth a try.

My plants all are on my open but covered deck and only get a few hours of East morning sun each day and are shaded the rest of the day, they all have done really well.

My uncle has a beautiful garden out in the open everything grows awesome in it, except for peppers don't grow very well at all out there. So he started putting them in pots on his open deck where they get direct sun still, but shade for the last few hours of the day and they do great.

My grandpa leaves his peppers in pots, but full south sun all day and his don't do very well either.

I'm a firm believer in peppers not being truly full sun plants nor do they need it.

I think I also depends on the region you are in, air Temps, and humidity as some people do well with full sun for their plants. I just think full sun all day when it's 90*+ outside is too much for most varieties.

Glad I'm not alone. My Scotch Bonnets seems to love the sun as do my Hawaiians but the Habs are loving the shade...This really opens up possibilities for those always schooled in the "6 hour minimum" rule.

Back