• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Shade loving vines?

I'm hoping to do up the garden this summer, does anyone know of any vine type plants that would grow in nearly full shade? I'm looking to cover the north face of our garage in something that will grow up the walls but obviously due to its orientation the north wall is almost never in the sun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Matt

Oh yeah, I've been reading about trumpet vines and was thrilled to hear they attract humming birds, until I realised one small and simple fact...we don't get them in the UK. Lol. Oh well, I hear they are still good for attracting insects and butterflies, which will end up being good for the birds. Just want to bring a bit of life to the garden you know. Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em comin : )

Oh yeah, I've been reading about trumpet vines and was thrilled to hear they attract humming birds, until I realised one small and simple fact...we don't get them in the UK. Lol. Oh well, I hear they are still good for attracting insects and butterflies, which will end up being good for the birds. Just want to bring a bit of life to the garden you know. Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em comin : )
They are very good for that!

29482_1296971708764_7656203_n.jpg

29482_1296971508759_4954842_n.jpg

29482_1296971468758_2166101_n.jpg

Piper nigrum grows in vines and is shade loving. and you get a little spice for your trouble. The only issue is getting some starts.

I also read that the flowers attract house flies. Colonies of flies...... Big negative

http://hortchat.com/info/trumpet-vine

Fantastic suggestions, the passion vines look amazing. I've gone ahead and bought some seeds for the trumpet vine. Gonna try and grow it in a big pot with a cylinder of chicken wire stretching out the top. Will have to keep a close eye on it tho, stop it becoming the day of the triffids over here : )

Have now decided against growing against the garage wall as I reckon it will easily get out of control and spread to the neighbours

Don't know why I didn't think of it before. My all time favorite vining plant, Confederate Jasmine (aka star jasmine). Slow growing, but it lives forever and can be turned into a hedge or trained into arches or whatever shape you want, plus it makes the most amazing fragrant flowers in the summer.

Back