• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SHANDLEY'S 2013 Glog

Greetings!
NOTE: All edits will be done to this first post until it gets full. All photos will be in timeline style (oldest first).

I see snow but that's not stopping me!

I have already germinated some 7 Pot peppers with a 100% germination rate. The Chocolate Habs (also 100% germination) are now in seedling containers waiting to pop. My Trinidad Scorpion seeds are a major bust. I tried multiple ways of germinating the seeds and there is nothing in any of them after nearly a month. Fail.

My germination and growing method is easy:

1. Soak seeds for 24 hours in pre-boild water in a container near a heat source (my laptop fan outlet works great as it's on all the time).
2. Drain seeds and put into large prescription bottles on a damp paper towel for about a week. EDIT: I found regular tap water (Vancouver, BC) works best because of something (likely chlorine) keeps the nasties away during this hot humid week). Using preboiled water seems to create a bad smell, even after one day.
3. Once life shows, transfer to seedling container (usually an old takeout container) with previously used soil that has been nuked and sifted. I put the larger chunks left int he sieve into the bottom half of the container and top it up with the spongy stuff that came out the bottom of the sieve.
4. Once seedlings show, leave them for a week or until their true leaves are showing and transfer them to plastic beer cups (I use white so I can see how moist the soil is). Same mixture as the seedling containers. I will water once a week with miracle grow. I don't care what people say about MG, it works! All of the above is done in a large terrarium with shelves, heat pad in one corner and a grow fluorescent tube.
5. About a month in, I pick and chose the best candidates for larger pot where they will live out their lives. The rest will be given away to friends and family (which feels bad because they just wont care for them like I do). I usually harden the plants before putting them outside but if it is mild, out they go to enjoy the sudo-sun.

7 Pot
Soaked: January 8th, 2013
Drained: January 9th, 2013
Planted: January 16th, 2013
100% Germination
18/18 sprouts
Notes & Photos:
I used a mixture of the sifted and bigger chunks of soil from last year, nuked for 3 minutes in this container.
I used toothpicks to mark the spots of the peppers but they started to grow something under the high humidity. Swapped out for straw pieces.
January 26th, 2013: Everything looks great!
7Pot001_zps25bace8c.jpg

P1020663CustomCustom_zps1fe8025c.jpg

Chocolate Habanero Peppers
Soaked: January 14th, 2013
Drained: January 15th, 2013
Planted: January 22nd, 2013
100% Germination
Notes & Photos:
January 25th: I didn't expect any activity and there was none to log.
ChocolateHabs001_zps8ddb26e7.jpg

January 26th: Morning, 2/20 Sprouts
P1020659Mobile_zps9c12d815.jpg

January 27th: Morning, 4/20 Sprouts
January 29th: Afternoon, 11/20 sprouts
P1020672Mobile_zps8854967b.jpg

January 30th: Evening, 14/19 Sprouts (one was crushed by accident).
February 2nd: Removed the top and within hours, the seedlings started to sag and droop. The seedlings were starting to touch the top so I built a saran wrap tent around them and put them back in the terrarium. Here's hoping!
February 3rd: Mold started to grow. I transfered everything into a small grow box (see pics below under Bhut Jolokia)

Bhut Jolokia
Soaked: January 24th, 2013
Drained: January 25th, 2013
Planted: Feb 2nd
100% Germination!
Notes:
January 26th, 2013: Seeds are looking very swollen already!
IMG_0686Small_zps7bcdef30.jpg

January 27th: Morning, no change.
February 2nd: Noon, noticed 7 seeds had pushed out some hairy roots. Time to plant!
P1020674Mobile_zps374b3e36.jpg
P1020681Mobile_zpscfd4231b.jpg
P1020682Mobile_zps46ab2ad2.jpg

February 3rd: Sprouts already! They were touching the top so I moved them into a grow box I made today. It's a shoe storage box (plastic). I cut the lid and put plastic wrap under the lid so light can get in.

Scotch Bonnet (Red)
Soaked: January 29th, 2013
Drained: January 30th, 2013
Planted:_______________ (Estimated: Feb 7st)
_____% Germination
Notes:
February 3rd: Morning, some seeds are starting to root. Planting could be sooner than expected.
P1020667Mobile_zps2cb9f8fd.jpg

February 5th: Seeds were producing roots. I planted those that had obvious life!

I have plans for many more peppers but I wanted to get what I have done down as to be able to track how they go. REMEMBER: I will add updates to this first post so follow if you wish but check back often!

7 Pot
February 5th: True leaves are starting to grow!
Feb 9th: Transplanting time! I used Miracle Grow potting soil in plastic beer cups.
P1020702Mobile_zpse210caa4.jpg

P1020709Mobile_zpse25aef35.jpg

Chocolate Habanero Peppers

February 3rd: Mould started to grow. I transferred everything into a small grow box (see pics below under Bhut Jolokia).

Bhut Jolokia
February 5th: Sprouts already! They were touching the top so I moved them into a grow box I made today. It's a shoe storage box (plastic). I cut the lid and put plastic wrap under the lid so light can get in.
P1020688Mobile_zpsaa38731d.jpg

P1020691Mobile_zps8b3698ff.jpg

P1020689Mobile_zps992b6193.jpg

Feb 9th: I found my germinating tube held a sprout and other seeds with some life so I moved the sprout to the grow box and planted two other seeds in very small containers like the last ones before moving to the grow box.
P1020699Mobile_zps0d6b4e93.jpg

Scotch Bonnet (Red)

February 5th: Seeds were producing roots. I planted those that had obvious life!
P1020693Mobile_zpsd293a2a8.jpg
P1020694Mobile_zps6d700174.jpg
P1020697Mobile_zps93e33d74.jpg

Feb 9th: 3 have sprouted and grew past the caps so I pulled the caps off. The other shows no sign of grows yet. I have faith.

I have plans for many more peppers but I wanted to get what I have done down as to be able to track how they go. REMEMBER: I will add updates to this 2nd post so follow if you wish but check back often!

Rack'em up Stack'em up.........Those seeds are ready to roll !
Looks like everythings popping for ya. Good luck with the rest of the indoor grow.

Nice start. You've got seedlings popping off like crazy! Those bad boys are reaching out for light though. You may need to get them closer to your bulbs. Good luck this year!

Back