• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shandley's TS Grow Log

Please note: This grow log will be essentially for myself. It will contain items and photos that will remind me of what I did so the next time around, I can adjust accordingly.

December 31st, 2012.

I have been told that if I have the means to slowly germinate the dried seeds of last years peppers, Christmas time is the time to start growing, even if it is snowing as we speak.

I purchased some TS pepper seeds from a known supplier. Based on the dust particle of residue that floated out and into my eye when I opened the bag, these are the hottest things around (VERY ouch. I may put some jalapeno on it to sooth it ;))

I am germinating with two methods today. Two seeds will be germinated by soaking the seeds in a shot glass with a few grains of my miracle grow fertilizer. This will sit in my terrarium on the heat pad. I will take temp readings after a few hours to see how warm it is (consistency is the name of the game). After 24 hours (possibly later depending on indulgences this new years eve), I will plant these seeds (point down) in a very small pot (plastic shot glass used for jello shots with a hole in the bottom) in the cheapest potting soil I have left over from last year (well kept).

I am also germinating two seeds in wet (but not soaking) paper towel in a zip bag that I will also place over the heat pad in the terrarium.

I am confident the wet paper towel seeds will sprout first and will take the reins but I would love to see the outcome of the overall closed experiment.

Photos to come. Editing will happen.

P1120100Large_zpse439d3ea.jpg
P1120101Large_zps95e0a23c.jpg
P1120104Large_zps7a109809.jpg

Could you explain why you put the miracle grow fertilizer in the water? I've not heard of people doing that before (new to me) I was always under the impression that any kind of fertilizer was bad for seedlings.

I have not tried it this way but it was suggested by the supplier. He mentioned that when the seed absorbs the water, the very small amount of fertilizer in there will act as the fruit that use to surround the seed and supply it with the missing nutes it would need.

Again, I haven't tried it before so, I will :)

I fell ill on New Years day. I accidentally left the soaking seeds in the water for an extra day. I hope they are ok. They were still floating when I saw them but it didn't take much for them to sink when I did knock them around a bit.

Today I pulled them out and planted them into the plastic shot glasses (holes in the bottom for drainage), watered lightly, and covered the top with plastic wrap. Even as seedlings before the first true leaves show, they do not need much in terms of air or light but they are sitting on the heating pad in the terrarium. It'll be a while before they do anything (from what I am told and based on past experiences).

TSPotted_zpsb4b316f7.jpg

The seeds in the bag are going to be at least a week, maybe more. I'll check back in when there is something more to do :)

Well, it's been 2 weeks and I see no sign of life. I remember it took longer than normal (ie: tomatoes) with my hot pepper seeds for anything to start happening when it came to germinating. Naturally, I do not have any expectations of a 100% germination rate and I very well can have picked 4 seeds that are a bust; however, I'll keep optimistic and keep 'em rocking. I'll start the 7 pot seeds in the meantime.

As I keep the old ones that are not doing too much, I have started a new method. I have a large prescription pill container. I cleaned it and rinsed it with alcohol. I rinsed it with boiled water and filled it with some previously boiled then cooled water. I put about 10 seeds in there and soaked them for 24 hours next to my laptop fan outlet (which is on 24/7 and putting out enough heat to keep the seeds warm). After 24 hours (today), I drained the water, put a folded up paper towel in the pill container and stuffed it half way down. I put the seeds in the paper towel and left the tops exposed. I added some pre-boiled (cooled) water and soaked the paper towel. There is a little bit of water at the bottom, then some air space, then the paper towel, then some air space. I put the lid on and it's is currently sitting next to my laptop fan outlet.

I tried this method with some 7 Pot seeds and they all put out roots. Hopefully this will yield some good sprouts with my TS'. 1 week, checking daily. Photos below:

P1020647Mobile_zps14a80f78.jpg
P1020650Mobile_zps6c67a546.jpg

As I check the container every day, I noticed a wet dog smell coming from the container. Something is growing that I do not want. I replaced the paper towel with a new one and rinsed the container out with alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. Hopefully that'll take care of it.

Back