breeding Share Any Breeding Tips?

I've been experimenting with breeding for about 3 years, following the basic process here:
http://www.fatalii.net/Growing_chile_peppers/Breeding

I probably have about a 20% success rate (1/5) at best, which ruins a lot of good pods to-be. It seems the slightest bump to the pistil or damage to the calyx results in failure. It's very frustrating to spend lots of time perfectly emasculating the flower only to have the pistil fall off with the lightest touch of the Q-Tip. Are these results typical? Does anyone have tips to improve the success rate?

Here's one I'm trying recently. Instead of pulling off the petals with forceps (tweezers), which I find can tear the calyx, I peal the petals back and carefully trim them close to the calyx with small sharp sewing scissors. I'm not sure if will improve my success rate but it's worth a try.

Maybe I just need a set of these!

51NvFFgbT6L._SY355_.jpg

I'd love to find some good tips in here.  I have read that many times and tried to cross a few times this year and last.  I keep getting flower drops.  I've tried painting it on, dusting it by tapping the father to be flower above the stigma and I have tried rubbing the father to be flower on the stigma.  I am not sure what I keep doing wrong

Yes, I often break the pistil off, especially when handling the smallest flowers. Training for a steady hand seems to be the right approach...

Back