• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Sharwood's Bhut Jolokia Curry Sauce

Sharwood's have brought out a limited edition curry sauce in the UK, made with bhut jolokia.

I tried it yesterday, and although it was hot, it wasn't as hot as I expected. They also sell a Goan Vindaloo sauce, which I think is nearly as hot.

Quite a nice taste, though. And I guess, for a mass market, store bought curry sauce it would be hot enough for most people.

I'm not Neil from the Hippy Seed Company, but I had a go at making a video of me trying the curry. You'll need to excuse my broad Glasgow accent - not sure if many of you will be able to make out my incoherent ramblings.

I'd definitely try it again, and would recommend it.

Matt.

I'm not gonna lie, I did have a hard time understanding ya. Either way, great video and the stuff sounds good.

It's ok, I can't make out what I'm saying at some points in the video :)

This sauce isn't really that hot - I took some into work and everyone tasted it. They liked the taste, and thought it was quite hot, but nobody was rushing for a drink to take the heat away.

Ha Ha I watched this the other day on chilliesgalore.
I really couldn't understand what you said most of the time, and I'm normally good with accents. But it looked like you were a happy chappy and enjoyed it. I don't think I've seen the product here, might be a UK only release?
How do you guys use these types of sauces, just pour over meat and bring to boiling and serve? Or do you simmer for a fair while?
Similar products here just say simmer for 10/15/20 min, but most curries I make are on the slow cooker for 6hrs with tougher/cheaper cuts of meat. I wonder how these sauces go with that treatment?

Ha Ha I watched this the other day on chilliesgalore.
I really couldn't understand what you said most of the time, and I'm normally good with accents. But it looked like you were a happy chappy and enjoyed it. I don't think I've seen the product here, might be a UK only release?
How do you guys use these types of sauces, just pour over meat and bring to boiling and serve? Or do you simmer for a fair while?
Similar products here just say simmer for 10/15/20 min, but most curries I make are on the slow cooker for 6hrs with tougher/cheaper cuts of meat. I wonder how these sauces go with that treatment?

:-) I'm mumbling quite a bit on the video - I think my tongue must have been numb.

Tried another curry tonight with the same sauce, and it's hot enough for me. Most people on this forum, however, would likely wonder where the Bhut Jolokia went. I did think it had a nice flavour to it.

It's really a mass market sauce - I used chicken, so it was just a matter of frying off the chicken and simmering it in the sauce for 5 minutes.

Not sure what it would be like after even a few hours.

I've grown chillis in the past, so I should really grow some bhuts or nagas and cook something up from scratch, so that I can compare store bought sauces to the real thing.

There's another video on Youtube of someone trying exactly the same sauce. He doesn't seem to cope as well as me, though...

I know you guys like your indian curries insanely hot though. Most hot indian curries have only been invented to satisfy people in the UK :hell:
I noticed that you were eating alone. I have the same problem, my other half thinks everything is too hot. I made a chilli con carn the other day from a packet. I had to add 2 chillies to my plate to make it decent. The mrs thought it was too hot just with what's in the packet. Shame about that, she's missing out.
But even then, I couldn't eat a lot of the indian curries made in a restaurant for the UK market... A vindaloo for the UK market is just taking the piss :eek:

Back