misc Shelf Life

I see a lot of jars of sauce on the shelves these days that have butter in them, especially wing sauces. They aren't refrigerated either. What kind of shelf life does a sauce with butter have?

I was just hoping some of you professionals out there would know. I was thinking about cooking some sauce ahead of time for parties and just storing it in the cupboard. How far in advance can I do that if I can it correctly?

We bain-marie everything... so far. Both metal caps and woosy with plastic caps. yep yep.

The woosies are a PITA though, because you have to not over-boil them or the caps fly off like popcorn.

We saw a method of capping processing during the FF show that uses injected gas into the jar. The gas sits on the bottom of the sauce, gives you about an hour before it rises to the top of the jar, and helps seal the product. If I remember correctly, the processing machine cost about $4500 USD.

T

OK. Since we're producing small,limited batches of any one thing,we'll stick to canning jars for the sauces that need a super-seal, and woozies for the low-ph ones that are mostly peppers and vinegar.

As a small test, I left a 1/2 bottle of Tropical Pepper's XXXXtra Habanero outside in the sun since last week. Last night, I got the bottle and consumed the other half. Though it has pineapple pulp, there were no side effects.
Maybe I shoulda left it in the sun for a month?

tinner666 said:
As a small test, I left a 1/2 bottle of Tropical Pepper's XXXXtra Habanero outside in the sun since last week. Last night, I got the bottle and consumed the other half. Though it has pineapple pulp, there were no side effects.
Maybe I shoulda left it in the sun for a month?

That would not be a good thing to do with our Chili Chocolate Passion. It would not survive.

T

Back