• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Shelves for Indoor grow

Currently, my shelves are something I bought a number of years ago from either Burpee or Park. One of those premade shelf systems. I am looking to put in more shelves but I would rather set up something myself that pay through the nose for one of those premade systems. What types of shelves do you folks use in your basement for growing seeds and stuff indoors?

Thanks much in advance!

I bought these at my local Menards.

The package is HEAVY, over 100lbs.

No tools necessary for assembly, but a hammer might be helpful. I put mine together by myself, but two people makes it much easier.

The shelves are particleboard, so you need to keep water off of them.

I bought them because a full 2x4 fluorescent fixture just fits, and they are actually quite heavy duty.

The one thing I wish they had was leveling 'feet'.

But, the price was right.

Sorry about all the edits, I kept getting the wrong Menards link...

I can never do a thing the easy way.  I built my own using mortar trays to hold the plants.  The dangly things in the photo are water heaters and bubblers for when I am cloning.  I use the same trays for all stages.  Makes it easier to move plants from one stage to another.  As they get bigger, they go under much brighter lights.  After that, to a mini green house.  All locations take the same trays so i can move them easily.

20509_805200152850157_4943286396042547533_n.jpg

2x4 uprights  with 2x2 or 2x3(whichever u can get cheaper and straight) platforms at every 12" and 18" so i can adjust the shelves.
shelves are 4x1's with cheap osb on top

IMG_20150323_211231.jpg

juanitos said:
2x4 uprights  with 2x2 or 2x3(whichever u can get cheaper and straight) platforms at every 12" and 18" so i can adjust the shelves.
shelves are 4x1's with cheap osb on top
A man after my own heart. Not sure why we gotta do it the hard way but we do dont we?

Juanitos - Should have also mentioned that radiator of yours, assuming oil filled, is one of the safest ways to heat a grow room.  .So many folk go with flame so they up their CO2 but unless they have moved the sun indoors, increasing CO2 doesnt do a thing other than create a fire hazard.  Planning on putting up a full size / walk in green house this year, if I decide to heat it, I am going with hot water pipes in the raised beds to work as a radiator with a remote water heater.  No open flame, no CO concerns, no fire concerns.

Back