• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shielding NFT resorvoir from light

1474480_621744091215529_1521904414_n.jpg

Bought his cool little used NFT style aeroponics setup for $40.  The submersible pump sprays water down 2 tubes, one for each channel,  which are lined with aeroponic sprayers.  Gravity feeds the water back down the channels, through 2 slits in the bottom of them,  and into the reservoir through 2 big holes.  Does anybody have any ideas for shielding these holes from light?  I'm afraid using it in the greenhouse, like I intend, is going to result in  ton of algae growth, not to mention physical debris which can blow down them....

I'd consider redesigning the way the water returns. What I would do is customize the channels at the end so that it can feed to a rectangular or square down pipe fitting and then a 3" or what ever diameter pipe into the bucket. I would then just get some cardboard or black plastic(or perspex sprayed black) and cut out a snug fit for the down pipe fitting and place it over the old circle.

That's an awesome setup, but like you, I don't like the way it feeds back, like an exposed waterfall.

if i was you  i would buy a couple bulkheads .. you can use flood and drain fittings without the extension on them. and install them in the drain end. then you can just run hose into your rez . you can buy new lids for that tote you use as a rez at walmart. 

Great advice guys! I was about to slop some 6 inch ducting on it. LOL.

Motocross, not sure what a bulkhead is. Is that the caps on the end?

I think he said that so you don't have to have the rez right under the channels. That way with the fittings and hoses the rez doesn't have an open top for things to fall into it.

probly but the flood and drain fittings squeeze down tight and have a hose barb on them .. that will make things super ez.
then you just make much smaller holes in a lid to run the hose thru . i usually put some gorilla tape around the holes after that to keep the light out. If you dont have an airpump and air stones in that rez , i would put some in it . 2 or more air stones will keep your nutes movin and will limit algae growth and put a little oxygen into the water.

I guess my only confusion is how the drain fittings attach on there.  I will have to swing by the hydro shop and take a look at them in person 

Back