• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shigshwa's 2016 Carolina Reaper Grow

It's been a while since I've been on here. Well. I'm back, same tent, but this time, with hydro! I'm running a 25 gallon DWC setup, with clones and a mother. I'd use HPS if I had one, but I hope that MH will do fine. The growth rates in hydro have been outstanding, and I'm excited to see what the yield may be.

12274692_10203885129488561_3906016805021579727_n.jpg

The mother. Stands at nearly 2 feet tall now, and clipped numerous times for clones/topping off. I can count at least 2 dozen flowers on her right now!

12289536_10203885132488636_7716544459778905603_n.jpg

I hope the density of plants will not be too detrimental. The clones stand at a few inches, to give a comparison.

What is the aim of growing so many superhots, you may ask? To make a hot sauce that could be an analog of thermite! I'm going to name it... "Master Wong's Death Punch", a chemical disembowelment in a bottle.

Seems like I'm getting some weird things happening with the flowers. Leaves are starting to yellow and wrinkle a bit too I suspect that calcium deficiency could be the issue. With some chemical tests, I found out that my tap contains 25ppm calcium, with the current res at 130ppm with a strength of 850ppm. I bought a huge container of FloraMicro Hardwater to use at first because I thought my tap water was too hard. I wonder if I need to supplement with calmag? I'll try it and see what happens. So far, I've only spotted one pod. Hopefully, this will change.

The reason for the weird plant behavior was due to bacteria die-off and other organic processes. Seems like the GH Floralicious plus promotes benny growth, and not maintaining it will cause all sorts of weird things to happen.

I have not washed the res out for the longest time, so perhaps, contaminants and metabolic compounds have built up and fouled the water. I've scrubbed her out, flushed the plants and res, and refilled with the base nutes only. I'm going to do some research on how to maintain bennies in the res before using my organic products again.

Running 1000ppm at 6.0 pH. I hope they perk up a bit. One pod so far.

Back