• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shipping hot peppers

So I am going to have a ton of hot peppers this year and might end up selling/giving away a couple boxes of them. I heard that you shouldn't wash the peppers before shipping them. What if you washed the pepper a few days before while it was still on the plant??

I haven't heard anything to that effect, and like Joyner said, watering doesn't count as washing, as it's incidental. The only thing I could think of to necessitate washing prior to shipping is if you used some kind of pesticide or somesuch...

Lmao Sicman :shh:

I'm a bit of a clean freak so I was just wondering. I don't use pesticides unless it is absolutely necessary like on my apple trees... I bought Praying Mantis egg sacks just to keep the big bugs at bay.

OK good. Then like the others have said, there really is no need to wash them at any point prior to shipping, as it's generally the customer's responsibility...

PepperLover said:
like Chris and Paul said, washing/watering the plants/pods while on the plant is ok, but not after u pick them or before u ship them. they will go bad
and Judy is certainly somewhat of an authority on shipping peppers!

Back