• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shishito peppers all the rage

I have a question.

The peppers in the pics look whole. How do/did you know all in the one pic were hot while all in the other were not?

Brutaldiver said:
I have a question.

The peppers in the pics look whole. How do/did you know all in the one pic were hot while all in the other were not?

Been eating them for awhile, this was the latest batch we picked. I put them in the wok with butter ghee till just right, then put one tbs of dark soy sauce in for one min, then salt.   They lose most of the hot when cooked though.

Very good. 

Steven

Hmmm, let me see if I understood you.
Actually, I don't understand. I must be missing something or need sleep.
I'm not quite sure how your reply explains you being able to tell the diff b/w a red hot one and a red not hot one prior to eating it. Not to mention looking at a couple dozen of them in your pics.
Maybe we just haven't started selling the Ronco Pepper Heat Sniffers here in Cincinnati.

Is the random heat part of the attraction?

I think it's more the flavor and texture, at least that's how it is for me.

Nice thread. I just happen to have some growing. One of the very few plants producing ripe peppers right now, along with my Chile De Aguas. I had Chile De Aguas last week fried in with some eggs, onions and potatoes, and they were wonderful. Thanks mpicante!

So its out to the garden to pick and fry up some Shishito to add to this mornings eggs. Can't wait!  :D

Brutaldiver said:
Hmmm, let me see if I understood you.
Actually, I don't understand. I must be missing something or need sleep.
I'm not quite sure how your reply explains you being able to tell the diff b/w a red hot one and a red not hot one prior to eating it. Not to mention looking at a couple dozen of them in your pics.
Maybe we just haven't started selling the Ronco Pepper Heat Sniffers here in Cincinnati.

Brutaldiver, I will try to explain it in more detail.

I have 2 Shishito pepper plants that have been producing peppers for some time now and I have eaten many pods off both plants. Both were from the same seed packet. One plant consistantly makes peppers that are more normal in that about 1 in 10 are hot, the rest are fairly mild.   The other plant however makes peppers that are almost always hot. The green ones are hot, and the red ones are hot. Only now and then I get one that is not hot on that plant. The peppers in the 2 pictures ended up being fried in the wok in Ghee, then coated with stong soy sauce and cooked for a min. longer. The cooking ruined the hot so You are right in that I can not say for absolutely sure that those peppers were hot or not.  I was basing my post on all my previous experience with these 2 plants. Most of the peppers I have just snacked on while out in the garden.

It just seemed sort of odd to me that things like this can happen.  It may be due to easily explainable reasons. Maybe it is because the hot plant is in a much smaller pot, I don't know.   I like the peppers on the hot plant the best, they have just the right amount of heat for me.

Steven

Steven. Nkw I get it. I don't recall seeing mention of there being 2 diff plants and one always went one way while the other went the other. I just saw the ref to the two platefulls of peppers. Hence my skepticism over eyeballing which were hot. Sorry and THANKS for the answer.
As an aside, i followed somebody's advice and hit up Trader Joe's for a bag and was thoroughly disappointed. It wasn't that they tasted bad... I just didn't think they had much flavor at all. Granted I ate them raw bjt, that's the only way to ascertain their natural flavor. Maybe some homegrown ones would be better than whoever supplies TJ's...

Brutaldiver said:
Steven. Nkw I get it. I don't recall seeing mention of there being 2 diff plants and one always went one way while the other went the other. I just saw the ref to the two platefulls of peppers. Hence my skepticism over eyeballing which were hot. Sorry and THANKS for the answer.
As an aside, i followed somebody's advice and hit up Trader Joe's for a bag and was thoroughly disappointed. It wasn't that they tasted bad... I just didn't think they had much flavor at all. Granted I ate them raw bjt, that's the only way to ascertain their natural flavor. Maybe some homegrown ones would be better than whoever supplies TJ's...Probably

Probably not.   To me the mild ones are like thin bell peppers but very slightly sweeter.

We grew 3 frying peppers pictured below.  The Shishito you recognise.  The top one is a Jimmy Nardello and on the right is a Friarlello.  All 3 are frying peppers and are fairly tasteless unless fried in oil with other stuff added as to your liking, then salt has to be added.  The Italian Friarlello  does have a bit of a very quick sort of bland fruity taste that only lasts a sec. or 2.  My wife likes them all fried. They are not too bad fried, really brings out much more taste, but maybe due to salt?

I would like to state that the taste tests are for the peppers when green. I have only tried the Shishitos ripe red.  The Friarlello are supposed to be sweet when ripe as are the Jimmys, neither have ever got that far on my plants.

I really like the hot shishitos raw.

Steven

Ah ha... They (the shishitos) did have a very slight grassy taste. As you said, they sound more like a vehicle to carry other flavors into a dish/meal.
Thanks

Wow! What  a great little pepper! My 'ol lady is hooked!! I will plant more next year. Tasty and easy to prepare. A friend also was describing the Pimiento De Padron and after looking it up I find they are fairly interchangeable! I will have to add them too. If it wasn't for SpicyMon trading me a plant I'd never have tried the Shishito. That's pretty cool.

Back