• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Should I have seedlings in a greenhouse while they're growing?

Hey guys,
On top of growing my regular plants, I have a little side project happening. I've currently got some seedlings growing in these punnets. They're Santa Fe Grande pepper plants. They've germinated and sprouted nicely as you can see but they're growing really slowly... I don't have them enclosed inside a greenhouse or under a grow light or anything so is this why perhaps? would putting them inside a mini greenhouse be beneficial for them as the greenhouse creates the ideal micro climate for them?

Thanks in advance =)

Attachments

• 20221203_123144.jpg
    20221203_123144.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
How long ago did they sprout and which direction is your window facing? They don't seem to show stretch - maybe just a tiny bit; hard to tell - suggesting they're getting okay light through the window. What are their day and night temperatures like? Room temperature is likely enough for those guys, especially summer room temps, though a little bit warmer might accelerate growth. Thing is, if it's warm and they don't get enough light it will increase the likelihood of stretch resulting in a weak stem. A risk of a mini-greenhouse is if the humidity stays high in the enclosure it can make the sprout too sensitive for when it comes out and has to face the real sun.

Last edited:
...What are their day and night temperatures like? Room temperature is likely enough for those guys, especially summer room temps, though a little bit warmer might accelerate growth...

^this.

How long ago did they sprout and which direction is your window facing? They don't seem to show stretch - maybe just a tiny bit; hard to tell - suggesting they're getting okay light through the window. What are their day and night temperatures like? Room temperature is likely enough for those guys, especially summer room temps, though a little bit warmer might accelerate growth. Thing is, if it's warm and they don't get enough light it will increase the likelihood of stretch resulting in a weak stem. A risk of a mini-greenhouse is if the humidity stays high in the enclosure it can make the sprout too sensitive for when it comes out and has to face the real sun.

Hey CaneDog, the daytime temps here in NSW are roughly 25 degrees- 30 degrees, so not super hot, night time temps are probably between 12-17 but the seedlings are inside and not exposed to any bad conditions, apart from maybe not getting enough light... i'm looking into getting just a cheap UV growlight to help sort out my light situation.

PS. My temperatures are celcius too by the way, not farenheit =P

Last edited:
They look good and if you're comfortable inside, they're likely ok with it too. A small grow light for before they go outside would probably help, both with light energy and also by providing a little additional warmth.

Your Celsius temps aren't all that much lower than my Fahrenheit temps right now We're supposed to hit 26/27 tonight and about the same tomorrow night :(

Back