• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Should I move plants from seed tray right to ground or not?

Hello all,

As mentioned ib my last thread I have a batch of seeds growing in a tray. Now originally I assumed from tray to ground I'd go but I'm thinking I may wait longer than I first planned so the weather picks up more.

My questions are....looking at the pics of my trays in the other thread, how much bigger should I let my plants grow before moving them at all?

Also, would it be a wise move to put them in small pots or solo cups or something as a stepping stone before putting them in the ground?

Thanks all. It goes without saying I'm a novice!

Cheers.

- Ringside.

I think your plants may benefit from a repotting once before they go outside. They are looking a tad leggy and I fear a good gust of wind would snap them in two. If it was my decision to make I would put them into 20 oz cups and bury them up to the cotyledons or at least half of the stem in the dirt. Then put a fan on them for 15-20 minutes a few times a day to strengthen the stems. Allow them to get 8-10 inches tall with at least half a dozen good sized leaves then think about moving them outside.

Good luck.

I think your plants may benefit from a repotting once before they go outside. They are looking a tad leggy and I fear a good gust of wind would snap them in two. If it was my decision to make I would put them into 20 oz cups and bury them up to the cotyledons or at least half of the stem in the dirt. Then put a fan on them for 15-20 minutes a few times a day to strengthen the stems. Allow them to get 8-10 inches tall with at least half a dozen good sized leaves then think about moving them outside.

Good luck.

My thoughts exactly!!

Just a quick look at the pics and i will say no, harden off and wait until temps average above 75. Generally i wont move though until real leaves develop.

Good info folks. Rehousing them in cups is where it's at.

I'm still at a loss for space though. It's not that I don't have more yard space it's just that the ground here is a nightmare. I expanded my original plot already by about 7 square feet but I've dug up so much rock since starting this patch it's been incredibly time consuming and laborious. Pots are an option but I'm thinking it will cost a bomb to fill them all up. Hmmmm we'll see.

Back