seeds Should I plant seeds in july?

I don't think I would start many this time of year only a few, if they do well you will have a jump start on next year but as your other Q.  Coco is something I only done two times and never plan on doing again.  Keeping the plants going in coco over winter would be a headache IMO and Coco really does need Coco nuts to do best.   I say Soil if your wanting to over winter them and then next year if your hearts set on Coco wash all the soil off and put them in Coco at that time.

Gotrox said:
Started a bunch in July last year.
Bugs indoors will be your only problem-----except the problem of keeping the plants contained.
I would go full hydro for ease of maintenence during the winter months, as transplanting from dirt to hydro can bring lots of problems.
By next spring they should be huge and ready for the outdoors.

Got 3 from last July that went into dirt this year.
HappyHappyHappy plants.

I don't really want to go hydro on all the plants. I plan on doing about 10 varieties with 2-3 plants each in total. Never done hydro and was thinking about starting small - something like 4  plants (different varieties) - and to keep everything as started, so no moving from a medium to another (coco-hydro-soil) throughout their life.

Mr. Hill said:
I don't think I would start many this time of year only a few, if they do well you will have a jump start on next year but as your other Q.  Coco is something I only done two times and never plan on doing again.  Keeping the plants going in coco over winter would be a headache IMO and Coco really does need Coco nuts to do best.   I say Soil if your wanting to over winter them and then next year if your hearts set on Coco wash all the soil off and put them in Coco at that time.

I asked about coco because with the first plants I started in february 2 are in coco (9l plastig bags: http://www.cocostar.de/product_cocopot9.php ) and three are in 6l air-pots with canna terra pro soil. They were all fed just generic veg nutrients until now and the ones in coco are bigger). They started blooming at about the same time, just that the first two are physically larger.

Thanks for all the answers!

Good luck!!!
Many different methods.
Choose what works best for you.
This was my first year for a full outdoor plot, and started in an aerogarden, moved to 3.5" pots, then planted out when warm enough.
Still had 3 left in hydro from last year (first try at hydro) and they went in big pots outside this year.

Will be using the same method next year.
66 seedlings and/or clones in the aerogarden on a shelf, to 50+ seedlings in pots on a table, to 50+ plants in the ground when last frost is gone.
You hardly ever get 100% germination.

Back