seeds Should seeds to be planted be really spicy?

Scoville DeVille said:

You contradicted yourself.

Seeds themselves are not hot. er, um "spicy".
If you want to read it that way ;)

I'm saying if you put said seed in your mouth it will be spicy. I qualified what I meant by 'spicy seeds'. Clearly I said the seeds themselves were not the source of the heat.

Spicy Mushroom said:
If you want to read it that way ;)

I'm saying if you put said seed in your mouth it will be spicy. I qualified what I meant by 'spicy seeds'. Clearly I said the seeds themselves were not the source of the heat.

Shirley, you jest. ;)

That reminds me of some baseball trivia I once heard. A guy named "Hot Nads" Nixon played for the El Paso Habs back in the 20s. He was a pitcher who chewed on hot pepper seeds. He'd have a mouthful, while intentionally beaming a batter he didn't like. When said beamee charged the mound, Hot Nads would spit a wad of them into his eye. Well, legend has it that he beamed a man named "Pops" Sulieman. When Pops charged, he spit the venom into his right eye. It was so bad, Pops went blind. He couldn't keep playing, so his teammated made him a coach, and renamed him Popeye. Obviously, someone liked the idea of a one eye man named Popeye Sulieman... and the rest is history...

Myxlplyk said:

Shirley, you jest. ;)

This doesn't need to become some point of contention. I don't understand why my posts are being misconstrued. 

Seeds are often covered with the residual oils excreted from the placenta. Seeds then become spicy in that if you put them in your mouth or rub them on your face, you'll take notice. I'm not saying seeds themselves produce capsaicin oils.

Spicy Mushroom said:

This doesn't need to become some point of contention. I don't understand why my posts are being misconstrued. 

Seeds are often covered with the residual oils excreted from the placenta. Seeds then become spicy in that if you put them in your mouth or rub them on your face, you'll take notice. I'm not saying seeds themselves produce capsaicin oils.

It was a joke. I don't contend your claim.

ficolas said:
I recently bought some seeds to try to plant them, to see how spicy they were, I decided to try them, I took a seed, and placed it on the tip of my tongue, and it wasnt really hot. Even a carolina reaper seed wasnt really hot, I compared it to some bought cayene I had, and the cayene seed was way hotter than the carolina reaper seed.
Why is this? Have I been ripped off? All peppers dont have the capsacin distributed arround in the same way? Or what?
Did you get them from Semillas.de by any chance? I've tried the same thing with seeds from this vendor and they were all non pungent, but they are growing out really healthy and great, so i'm assuming he washes and treats his seed for maximum viabilty, or at least i think so. 
Good luck with your season!

ajdrew said:

Woohooo, someone else loves the thing.  Usually I mention it and people use terms like nostalgia.  I love them for stuffing.  Didnt start too many this year cause they are mainly a farmers market crop, not doing market this year.  But will likely have plenty to trade in the late summer / fall.
Red Savina is our household favorite pepper for powdering. Adds perfect heat to everything and anything. Only problem is guys at work trying to get my stash all winter.. maybe I will save seeds this year and grow more of them next year

Back