• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shout out to the SBL Chile Lab

Just wanted to give a head's up and a shout out to Tom and the folks over at Southwest Bio-Labs. I sent a pepper off to be tested and was very happy with both the communication and timely manner that I received the results back in. They were very quick to answer any questions I had, sent me an e-mail upon receiving my pepper sample and I had the results e-mailed back to me in just a couple of days.

I grow a lot of different peppers and folks always ask what's the hottest pepper I grow. For the last few years it's been the UBSC-Brown. Always guessing at the heat I wanted to actually have a good idea of SHU. Not trying to grow the worlds hottest pepper or anything like that just doing it for fun.  

I was really happy to see the results come in at a little over 1.5 million SHU. 
20161010_115649.jpg

Cheers 

OCD Chilehead said:
That's awesome, FB. Congrats! Beautiful looking pod.

I will keep them in mind.

Are they pretty reasonable?
Considering what I spent on the pepper patch this year it was very reasonable :) $50 for the pungency/shu test.

I have a yellow bubblegum/scotch bonnet sauce I've been working on and still picking peppers for..lol I am going to have a sample tested when it's done just for fun.

Cheers

FreeportBum said:
Considering what I spent on the pepper patch this year it was very reasonable :) $50 for the pungency/shu test.

I have a yellow bubblegum/scotch bonnet sauce I've been working on and still picking peppers for..lol I am going to have a sample tested when it's done just for fun.

Cheers
I dislike you, a whole little

FreeportBum said:
Just wanted to give a head's up and a shout out to Tom and the folks over at Southwest Bio-Labs. I sent a pepper off to be tested and was very happy with both the communication and timely manner that I received the results back in. They were very quick to answer any questions I had, sent me an e-mail upon receiving my pepper sample and I had the results e-mailed back to me in just a couple of days.

I grow a lot of different peppers and folks always ask what's the hottest pepper I grow. For the last few years it's been the UBSC-Brown. Always guessing at the heat I wanted to actually have a good idea of SHU. Not trying to grow the worlds hottest pepper or anything like that just doing it for fun.  

I was really happy to see the results come in at a little over 1.5 million SHU. 
attachicon.gif
20161010_115649.jpg

Cheers 

How productive are the plants compared to other supers in that heat range or above ?

SavinaRed said:
How productive are the plants compared to other supers in that heat range or above ?
I can really only speak for the UBSC-Brown that I have grown. I've never grown reapers,primos,etc.  But my plants were huge this year and just loaded with pods. 

Southwest BioLabs does a great job with pungency testing.  There are many other labs around the country that can also do SHU testing, SWB is one of the best.  But not all food labs are equipped or qualified to do accurate pungency tests.  Pungency doesn't just apply to chile peppers, it also applies to spices like cinnamon.  Just a note for those looking to get testing done to make sure the lab they contact is knowledgeable and qualified to do SHU testing.    

I would also like to add just because a couple people have asked. I didn't send just one pepper in to have tested. I took about 4 dozen peppers and dried them, turned into powder and sent a couple grams from that to have tested. 

:cheers:

Back