• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Show us your Ghetto growing gear.

Hi guys , i thought id just share a few pics of a small light i been working on , i picked this light up of gumtree for 20 bucks and added a switch and a few cfl bulb holders to it .
Im not sure if its Ghetto gear or not , but it was second hand and cheap , i thought i can run the cfl daylights and put whatever i want for the tubes, im just going to be using it for some babys this coming season.
I plan on building bigger shelves to house some 4 ft lights also .

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

I just saw this post. You know, you should be ashamed of yourself for posting that in this thread. This is for GHETTO growing gear. That entry clearly is not ghetto and could even be considered professional. You will do well to not post such projects in here again. Shame on you!

That light is awesome!! Great job. :clap:

lol thanks mate , i was like oh this guys havin a go at me , then i saw the bottom of your post , i wasnt sure if it was ghetto or not , but i did make it out of bits and peices and got the shell of the light second hand.
Compared to some of the pro's growrooms and light set ups on thp its Ghetto gear .

Ghetto seems to be working, the group out getting some sunshine. Don't mind the little guys on bottom, little yellowing from a dose of over watering and the one in the center was a little wilted from over drying. Gave it some water and it perked right back up.

2625081655_photobucket_188417_.jpg

This is a good thread, well im 100% Ghetto growing id guess? no electric or money gives me no other choice.

Ghetto domes (empty water containers cut in half) worked very well.

Germination3.jpg

Germination4.jpg

All done in a Ghetto greenhouse (secondhand wedding marquee) :D

Then there`s my Ghetto heat mat using the heat from a gas fridge with my 'steel collector" on top of that is a cat litter tray with jiffys & a bit of perspex covering it, again works well.

redneckheatmat1.jpg

redneckheatmat3.jpg

redneckheatmat2.jpg

And then there's the Ghetto dryer to dehydrate all the chilli`s with, same reason no electric so i knocked up this thing with stuff we had laying around (that`s why it looks so rough) but again it works well.

solardehydrator5.jpg

solardehydrator3.jpg

dehydrating21.jpg

dehydrating22.jpg

driedbhuts.jpg

All this cost next to nothing to make & costs nothing to run, this is all from my Glog in case you hadn't already seen it.

Mezo.

Beehunter is right, you take ghetto growing to a whole new level; it's an art form!

Low tech grow tech... Using Air Conditioner condensation runoff for irrigation.... yes really

april15gardenpics016.jpg

Pipe air conditioner condensation to pump (gravity feed).

april15gardenpics020.jpg

Pump triggers when reservoir is full and out the foundation vent to the gardenias...
april15gardenpics021.jpg

Every drop counts!

april15gardenpics023.jpg

The fish aren't happy, but they'll live without until payday.

Sprouts need Light by Yemtol, on Flickr

Little experiment. Worst comes it I kill a couple plants, but I'm hoping it will work out. Home made air pot knock off propagation tray.

Smart Pot Egg Carton 1 of 2 by Yemtol, on Flickr

Smart Pot Egg Carton 2 of 2 by Yemtol, on Flickr

Earlier version before I'd heard of air pots or smart pots. Same idea without hole except for the bottom for drainage and bottom watering.

24 seeds waiting to grow by Yemtol, on Flickr

Not exactly "grow gear" but something was robbing all my ripe cherry tomatoes and once they were all gone started hitting the green ones...

So I put out my ghetto fabulous home made critter trap! Not mouse or rat specific, it will catch anything that can fit inside...

Lookie lookie what I found in there this morning!
P1010188.jpg

hahahahaha....no more free lunches...you dirty rat!

Hahaha, reminds me of the time I bought a wire mesh rodent trap at a garage sale when I was a kid. I think I paid like $2 for it or something. Put it out in the back yard with some peanut butter smeared inside. Next morning I found an angry skunk inside...

Hahaha, reminds me of the time I bought a wire mesh rodent trap at a garage sale when I was a kid. I think I paid like $2 for it or something. Put it out in the back yard with some peanut butter smeared inside. Next morning I found an angry skunk inside...
Lol...used to run live catch traps for a guy in TX as a kid. He warned us to always walk out well upwind of the trap just for that reason. Then he failed to heed his own advise and had to eat/sleep outside the ranch bunkhouse for a few days until the smell wore off.

The fish aren't happy, but they'll live without until payday.

Sprouts need Light by Yemtol, on Flickr

Little experiment. Worst comes it I kill a couple plants, but I'm hoping it will work out. Home made air pot knock off propagation tray.

Smart Pot Egg Carton 1 of 2 by Yemtol, on Flickr

Smart Pot Egg Carton 2 of 2 by Yemtol, on Flickr

Earlier version before I'd heard of air pots or smart pots. Same idea without hole except for the bottom for drainage and bottom watering.

24 seeds waiting to grow by Yemtol, on Flickr
I'll be very interested to see your results!

MEZO I love that dryer. Have any sketches? Plans???

I just knocked it together, in my Glog there's some diagrams from other people on the basic principle on how they function & i scrounged around the yard & made it with what i had.

Just do a Google image search "solar dehydrator" and browse hundreds of pictures of various design & ideas, there's guys knocking them up out of cardboard boxes, you can be flash & expensive or you can be cheap (like me). :party:

Mezo.

Had to be in the Barracks for a few days away from the garden...so I brought just a little of the garden with me and set up a makeshift grow area under my desk.
barracksgrow1.jpg

barracksgrow2.jpg

These are still in 3.5" pots and dry out pretty quick, so they needed a babysitter. 3 26w actual 100w eq 6500 CFL's there's also a box fan on them which isn't pictured.

Back