• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

Still growing! Still not setting fruit because of the heat! Agh! The coming week will have some temps in the mid-80s with lows around 65, maybe I'll get some mercy fruit. I have a feeling these guys are going to go gangbusters when late summer approches and it cools down for good. They look beautiful though. From left to right: Ecuadorian Red Pepper from Hell, Rocoto Turbo, Rocoto de Seda.

62624 ERPFH Turbo and De Seda.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to keep everyone updated. The dog days are here, it is HOT, and the heat is expected to stick around for quite some time. My rocotos in the pots are continuing to grow strong branches, lush leaves, throw off plenty of flowers, and then promptly drop them. Not one single fruit off of these plants. The rocotos in the grow bags are not really growing much, flowering little, and kind of holding in a steady state. I wanted to ask @CaneDog @Pepper-Guru and other experienced rocoto growers: is there any way that these plants will become shocked by the long term heat and stop producing flowers, or be set back in some way by either the root ball maxing out its size or by the plant setting so many flowers but no fruit? My hope was to have these plants really big and strong in late August-early Sept when we start getting cooler weather, and then getting a nice big bumper crop. Does this plan still sound plausible?

The potted rocotos: from L to R Ecuador Red Pepper FH, Rocoto Turbo, Rocoto de Seda.

20240709_1532541.jpg

Poor pic of the grow bag rocotos. I couldn't get the pic at a better angle this time. These were in mostly full sun for a while as an experiment, but I'm now putting them under 30% shade cloth. The heat has really been bad and there's more to come. I don't want to lose them.

20240709_153438.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like they're doing great! I expect they'll keep flowering and growing, but may not set significantly until later in the season. I'm sure they like that you're getting them some shade. Those guys are going to be big plants by fall. Hopefully bumper crops!

Looks like they're doing great! I expect they'll keep flowering and growing, but may not set significantly until later in the season. I'm sure they like that you're getting them some shade. Those guys are going to be big plants by fall. Hopefully bumper crops!

Thanks! I'm holding my breath a little here because we're supposed to get 3 days over 95 degrees F (with one day possibly up around 101 or 102). I'm planning on continuing to keep the potted ones in the shade and the grow bag plants under shade cloth, but those temps are still higher than anything they've experienced so far. You think they'll be okay, or should I bring them inside during the hottest part of the day? I don't have the lighting set up so they'll be in the dark for that time, but at least they won't cook in the heat. What do you think?

Last edited:
They should be fine how you're handling it. I try to keep plastic containers (especially darker ones) out of the direct sun when it's super hot because it can cook on the roots, but you have your plastic pots in the shade and the cloth won't cook like plastic can. We just went though a few days of mid-90's here and mine are happily chugging along.

Back