• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Shultz cactus fertilizer ok for seedlings?

Is shultz cactus fertilizer good for pepper seedlings? Here's whats in it.
037.jpg

Seems like it would be better for flowering and fruit set, but if its all you have then I think it would be just fine.

I did some calculations and even to get it to 1/4 strength miracle gro I need to use 18 times what it says on the package. Could this be right?

Silver_Surfer said:
Which MG formula are you talking about and what are the dilution instructions for each?

I used to use the MG 24-8-16 at 1/4 strength. So it's 22.5ml per 6000ml reg strength so 1/4 would be 5.6ml per 6000ml. 24% of the 5.6ml mix would be nitrogen so 1.34ml per 6000ml. The cactus stuff says 3ml per 6000ml of which 2% is nitrogen. So 3ml X .02 = 0.06ml of nitrogen. So 1.34 / .06 = 22.3 Which mean I need to up the dose by 22 times to get the same as 1/4 miricle gro? Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

One of the reasons regular MG makes plants grow so good is the real high nitrogen level. Makes for tall, wide, leafy plants. They don't produce a lot of fruit or veggies but they sure look good. You don't need to match the MG numbers.

A cactus doesn't need a heavy dose of food because it doesn't grow fast. That's why the cactus food seems weak compared to Miracle-Gro.

Alan

chillilover said:
I used to use the MG 24-8-16 at 1/4 strength. So it's 22.5ml per 6000ml reg strength so 1/4 would be 5.6ml per 6000ml. 24% of the 5.6ml mix would be nitrogen so 1.34ml per 6000ml. The cactus stuff says 3ml per 6000ml of which 2% is nitrogen. So 3ml X .02 = 0.06ml of nitrogen. So 1.34 / .06 = 22.3 Which mean I need to up the dose by 22 times to get the same as 1/4 miricle gro? Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

Yeah, but you're just looking at the nitrogen and if you bump it 22x look what it's doing to the P and K supplied. Peppers don't need that much nitrogen, but if you want to supplement the nitrogen during early growth, I'd use the cactus formula and add a separate source of nitrogen rather than increasing the cactus application rate 22x.

Back