• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sick Chocolate Bhutlah

I'm posting this up to see if anyone else has seen this before. I started this chocolate bhutlah indoors around December of last year, it was growing perfectly normal in a 1 gallon pot, but was taking up a lot of space, which I needed for all of the rest of my plants, so I topped it. I top plants all the time, to make space indoors, and for various other reasons, but I've never had an issue.

When the growth started coming back from the nodes, it initially appeared to be very vigorous, with like 3-5 new leaves/branches coming out of each node, but when it grew out, the leaves came out super thin and long, and the plant didn't develop any further branches.

It has stayed that way for almost a month, I figured it would eventually recover, and potted it outside with my usual organic soil mix that the rest of my plants love. I used a bit of 3-4-4 garden tone fertilizer, and a bit of bone meal, which is the same thing I fed the rest of my plants. The weird thing is that even outside, and in fresh soil, the plant still isn't putting off new branches, or healthy leaves. It's definitely not dead though, and there are no signs of pests, plus the roots looked very healthy when I transplanted. All of the rest of my plants are really taking off, in the exact same growing medium and conditions. I've seen some weird stuff with my plants over the years, but they eventually bounce back in a few weeks, but this one has been sick for at least a month now.

Has anyone seen anything that looks like this? Suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-05-12-16-32.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-05-12-16-32.png
    629.9 KB · Views: 66
Yes, it looks sick.

First thing I would guess is mites. You would need a 60x or better scope to see them, so don't dismiss it by just looking with your eye.

I have seen mutations make leaves look like this, too... but they started at birth.

If you haven't, what I like to do is spray it with something simple and gentle like neem, but I like to add a small pinch of epson salt int he sprayer with the neem. I would spray it every 3 days for two weeks and see if the new growth comes back normal. Be sure to hit every square millimeter of surface.

If it doesn't, then I'm out of practical ideas. I'm sure someone might be tempted to suggest cal/mag like people always do, but I really doubt that is the case.

Good luck!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Cool, thanks for the advice! Would it be normal for mites to hit only this plant indoors, but have no effect on the other 30 plants that it was sandwiched in between for months?

It's funny you ask, cause I was just thinking to myself (when I read your first post) about how it is odd that most people with mite problems end up only having one or two plants affected.

But yes, since they can't fly or walk far very fast, they only travel if moved by means of a watering can, your clothes, your hand, fallen leaves, etc.

I have (successfully) fought mites indoors and they did affect the whole crop of vegging plants in the veg area, but that's because the plants were all touching. And not a single one made it into the flower room - THANKFULLY.

Thanks for the info mrgrowguy. I'm going to separate it from the rest of my plants outdoors just in case it is mites. I'll hit it with some neem, and see what happens. Should the plant naturally begin putting off new foliage, or should I prune a couple nodes down on the branches to trigger new growth? I have no experience with mites, this is the first time I've had this issue with a plant, so any suggestions are helpful. Good thing it is only one plant affected out of over 50 I have outside right now...knock on wood!

I wouldn't prune just yet in case it is sick but not from mites (I would if the plant was way bigger). Losing more foliage could just make it harder for the plant to recover... that's just opinion based though. I'd give it at least two weeks first.

PS: make sure not to spray it just once and call it... At least every 3 days for 3 cycles, that's my personal minimum. Need to disrupt the pests' breeding cycles.

Cool, I'll pick up some Azamax. It's weird, because two of the plants that this plant was sandwiched between, was defi itely touching foliage with it for a solid two weeks at least, and both of those plants are exploding with lush foliage, and putting off tons of flower buds. I guess if it's mites, they just really like this one particular plant for some reason. Maybe it was weaker/more vulnerable than it's neighbors or something.

I would spray those neighboring plants too, they may just not be showing signs yet. Or, you got lucky :) Or, there aren't any mites to begin with. LOL

nothing wrong with preventative spraying.

I love this game!

mrgrowguy said:
I would spray those neighboring plants too, they may just not be showing signs yet. Or, you got lucky :) Or, there aren't any mites to begin with. LOL

nothing wrong with preventative spraying.

I love this game!

Yeah, now I'm getting all paranoid about critters. I'm going to be out there with a magnifying glass looking at all of my plants. My wife is going to be like "WTF are you doing!".

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Cool, I'll pick up some Azamax. It's weird, because two of the plants that this plant was sandwiched between, was defi itely touching foliage with it for a solid two weeks at least, and both of those plants are exploding with lush foliage, and putting off tons of flower buds. I guess if it's mites, they just really like this one particular plant for some reason. Maybe it was weaker/more vulnerable than it's neighbors or something.
I don't think it's mites.
They spread out to all plants . A few years ago from a infested lemon tree they ruined all plants.
I think your plant have roots problems.
Some are more sensible to fertilizers e

Back