• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sick Peppers

Hello!
This year I became interested in growing peppers in containers on my patio. I purchased seeds for a few varieties and successfully germinated and transplanted them.

The peppers were doing well until a few weeks ago. I began to notice that one of the plants' new leaves were growing malformed. Over time all the other plants began showing various symptoms including malformed leaves, dark or black spots, holes and wilting. I took some snapshots of the peppers today and placed them in this album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hillpo/SickPeppers

The varieties I have are Black Hungarian, Cyklon, Lemon Drop and Fatali. They all seemed to be doing quite well up until I noticed the first problem with the leaves on one of the Black Hungarians.

It's sad seeing it happen but I'd like to try to do this again. I'd like to know if anyone could offer some help identifying what is wrong and how I might avoid this in the future.

Thanks in advance!

-Pete

First welcome to THP...

First thing I would check for is bugs. Check all around the whole plant and don't miss the underside of the leaves (that is where some nasty leaf eaters like to hide...i.e aphids). If there are no bugs or evidence of them present, what types of fertilizers are you using if any? I definitely wouldn't chuck them, since they are all still really green and look healthy overall, besides the "malformed leaves".

A couple of mine are in worse shape then yours right now. I'm not giving up on those yet. Yours are DEFINITELY fixable.

Thanks for the replies!

I did notice some bugs a few weeks ago before the symptoms got really bad. I found both aphids and what I think were spider mites on the undersides of the leaves. Since then I've been spraying with an organic insecticide/fungicide and I haven't seen any others. Would you recommend any particular product for controlling insects?

I do plan to continue trying to get them healthy. I was just concerned because they just seem to be getting a little worse every day.

Back