• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sick Plants...Too Much Light??

This season is starting out rough compared with last season, which was my first.  I had 4 T8s running last season, but, I added 2 more the last couple of weeks, or so, for a total of 6 T8s.  I run them 18/6.   I just started using a tea the last 2 weeks of 4oz bokashi, 4oz worm castings, 4oz alfalfa meal, diluted kelp extract, and 1/2 strength fish emulsion.  Before that, I had been using mostly kelp extract.  Growth improved with the tea, but, still far behind.  Maybe my HPS system will help when it arrives?  Not all plants look like the ones below, but, they are all stunted for being in the Solo cups since December!!  They may find their way into the garbage heap, yet.  Well, here are the worse looking ones, mostly MoAs, and a Reaper.  That's a thin layer of perlite you see, which I was told would help prevent fungus gnats from laying eggs in the soil.

I have had plants looking like this because of Nitrogen shock and also too much compaction of the media when transplanting. Roots seems to miss air or lack strength to pull out new roots.

Don't quote me on that, its only my 5cents recent experience :)

Teurf

it could be too much light...  try switching the light back a couple hours to maybe 16/8. 

Is that Miracle Grow brand Perlite? I ask because that brand has some nutes in it, added to your other nutes it may have been a tipping point.

If it were me, i'd repot into soil with less nutes in it. Those plants are salvage-able and need not be thrown out yet. All of that recent nutrition combined with purple veins and yellow leaves doesn't seem to be a coincidence imho.

They do not look like they've outgrown the cups by the way, but growth would be slowed by cooler basement temps ... and less light lumens.

Jetchuka said:
Is that Miracle Grow brand Perlite? I ask because that brand has some nutes in it, added to your other nutes it may have been a tipping point.

If it were me, i'd repot into soil with less nutes in it. Those plants are salvage-able and need not be thrown out yet. All of that recent nutrition combined with purple veins and yellow leaves doesn't seem to be a coincidence imho.

They do not look like they've outgrown the cups by the way, but growth would be slowed by cooler basement temps ... and less light lumens.
Thanks, everyone.

It is OMRI perlite, however, I am going to take your advice, and re-pot everything (I've already started).  I couldn't leave well enough alone this season, so, I changed my planting mix.  When I re-pot, I'm going back to last season's mix.  I will say, though, the roots look good, even wrapping around the bottom of the Solo cups on a few plants, thus far.  So, plants with strong root systems will automatically go into #1 pots.  They will get plain water.  We shall see how it all pans out.

Back