• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Sick seedlings

So far I've stopped watering completely and had a pedestal fan blowing across the plants for the last three days. I've just drilled new drainage/airing all around the bases of the cups and installed a dedicated fan on a timer. The yellowing of the leaves has slowed to almost nothing, and no new ones have fallen off. You can still see some condensation down in the sides of the cups but it's slowly evaporating. I will water them when they start to wilt or dry out.

I was obviously drowning the roots by watering on the same schedule as when outside in the summer heat in quick draining pots. Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone.
:dance:

on another front the yellowed leaves seem to be the lower ones.

maybe they were wanting more light?

what is your light source? :cool:

how far from the plant tops are you maintaining the light source?

it seems you may want to also "consider" the lighting as an element of importance?

Earlier on in the season I saw the same thing that you have seen and I thought it was low nitro as well. Turned out to be way too much water and way too much nitro(symptoms for too much and too little are pretty much the same). I too have decided to put them into clear cups and have noticed a dramatic reduction in their growth since they came out of the red solo cups. Looks like I will be covering those cups with something the light can't get through. May help you out as well to do the same.

I doubt the light source is directly to blame but having clear cups was an oversight. Didn't really think about it until busy potting them up. I will have to keep my eyes out for opaque cups but so far all I have seen is lots and lots of clear plastic, or styrofoam cups and I don't like the idea of that. If I can find something better then I will transplant them.

lightsplants004.jpg

lightsplants001.jpg

Looking good from here Megamoo, can't wait to be at that stage again come early 2012!

I see you roll your own PC's too, my last upgrade was the Asus P8P67 + the new intel 2500k, my new video editing/encoding beast!

Looking good from here Megamoo, can't wait to be at that stage again come early 2012!

I see you roll your own PC's too, my last upgrade was the Asus P8P67 + the new intel 2500k, my new video editing/encoding beast!

Theres no need to make me envious ;) :lol: although my next new build is just around the corner

i know light tubes are not cheap but old ones do have decreased output
please try a new bulb or two and see if it may help chlorophyll production?
when i grew "another plant" would try to keep the lights just a few millimeters from the tops
where they just about burned in two or three days

That is something I hadn't considered. I know the light tubes are old but I didn't realise that they even got old age problems.

Still haven't watered the bigger ones for maybe 4 or 5 days now! There is still moisture visible through the sides of the cups where the roots are. The smaller pots' soil dried up a bit so I gave them a drink.

One thing I have noticed just today is that the smaller plants which haven't been potted up yet, have their cotyledons reaching up to the light as though they aren't getting enough, which seems nuts because they is a lot of light there. Maybe my purple globes have some problem with the wavelength because they are old? They were stored for I don't know how long a time, exposed to the elements. I wil substitute some white ones in there.

An update:

Put the white globes in but too early to see any change.

All growth has stopped and only a few more leaves have dropped, but this time its probably heat stress or thrist. After not watering them for a whole week the top of the soil has completely dried out but there is still lots of moisture clearly visible further down in the pot. I can also see that the roots have continued to grow all around in the pots and I can see a fuzz of fine root hairs growing, the same as aeroponic roots. I think the light must be heating the moisture in the pots so it vaporizes into mist. I just got a thermostat in the mail so I will set up the probe in one of the pots to measure the root temp.
Does anyone know the idea root zone temp for seedlings?

The fungus gnats have gone crazy! I have put up two sticky flypaper traps which are catching a lot but there are always some that stay down and they are obviously breeding away.

They needed water so I misted the plants and the top of the soil with Hydrogen Peroxide to control the fungus, and hopefully cut off the gnats food supply. I've also read you can put cider vinegar or beer into little containers and they go for it and drown. :D So I'll be doing that as well as doing some foil wrapping.

Back