• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Silicic acid

So, I have a friend who farms hemp and uses a concentrated silicic acid that promotes rapid root growth and accelerated seedling growth. Does anyone have any information on weather this works the same for pepper plants?

It wouldn't hurt (unless you over-do it), but as far as I am aware, humic acid is marginally better than silicic acid. Unless your plants are lacking things and are in poor growing medium, probably unecessary.

Humic acid for the win.  I use it here, where even the rain waters comes down alkaline.

A product derived from Leonardite is most common.  Somewhere on the site, I posted a video of Leonardite, mixed with eggshells in water.  I wanted to see if it was just BS.  But I definitely got a reaction between the 2 substances. So it will at least decompose into free elements, in a fairly weak alkaline environment, over time. (slow release)  And you can use a purchased humic product or compost tea, to fill the gap, and produce a short term result.

It isn't an either or situation.

Silicic acid is awesome.

Humid acid is also awesome.

Each helps vascular plants in ways that the other doesn't.

However if you formulate your media properly neither acid nor any of other related acids actually need to be supplemented. Glacial rock dust is an ideal supplement that works in concert with the C:N cycle to provide various organic acids.

I grew weed for years and supplementing humic/humate and silicic acid etc only makes a noticeable difference in poor, deficient and or badly formulated substrates like inorganic mineral media or depleted soils low in mineral content.

Not saying you're wrong, but environmental factors often have their say.  You can grow indoors with a heck of a lot more parametric control, than if you are resigned to relying on the elements.
My stated case: alkaline rain, and a semi-saline environment.  The salty air and deluges, definitely work antagonistically with available calcium, and short of consistently dumping more and more and more organic material - which I may not have container space for - one of the very best ways that I've personally found to keep pH and Ca levels in check - as well as to prevent BER by way of uptake disruption - is by way of added Humic.  pH isn't a huge deal, if one can grow in a regenerative loop of decaying materials.  I can't always.  And I can't tell the rain not to show up. 
Also, back to the OP...  If you want growth hormones for seedlings, you should be looking at kelp and alfalfa meal.  Or even just seeding your containers or beds with alfalfa hay.  All are really great for getting a little extra out of the early grow.

solid7 said:
Not saying you're wrong, but environmental factors often have their say.  You can grow indoors with a heck of a lot more parametric control, than if you are resigned to relying on the elements.
My stated case: alkaline rain, and a semi-saline environment.  The salty air and deluges, definitely work antagonistically with available calcium, and short of consistently dumping more and more and more organic material - which I may not have container space for - one of the very best ways that I've personally found to keep pH and Ca levels in check - as well as to prevent BER by way of uptake disruption - is by way of added Humic.  pH isn't a huge deal, if one can grow in a regenerative loop of decaying materials.  I can't always.  And I can't tell the rain not to show up. 
Also, back to the OP...  If you want growth hormones for seedlings, you should be looking at kelp and alfalfa meal.  Or even just seeding your containers or beds with alfalfa hay.  All are really great for getting a little extra out of the early grow.
Doesn't even alwsys have to be rain. Straight out of my tap or hose, the water is between 10 and 11 here.

One of my favorite seasonal gotos is Willow Brew. I make a batch early spring from fresh Willow cuttings. These are rich in Salicylic Acid and Indolebutyric Acid, hormones that promote growth and boost the immune system of the plants. Seedlings love the stuff.

PeriPeri said:
One of my favorite seasonal gotos is Willow Brew. I make a batch early spring from fresh Willow cuttings. These are rich in Salicylic Acid and Indolebutyric Acid, hormones that promote growth and boost the immune system of the plants. Seedlings love the stuff.
You say brew. You mean like a compost tea? This method is something I could see myself doing. I have a lot of willow available to me only takes a short walk into the woods.

Apologies - I call it brew. Yea, like a compost tea, but with Willow shoots chopped up and soaked in water for a few days to release all the hormones into the water.

The only important thing is to get cuttings from the fresh fresh shoots in spring - hence it's a seasonal thing.

PeriPeri said:
Apologies - I call it brew. Yea, like a compost tea, but with Willow shoots chopped up and soaked in water for a few days to release all the hormones into the water.

The only important thing is to get cuttings from the fresh fresh shoots in spring - hence it's a seasonal thing.
Nothing like a little brothel noise to coax the plants to grow! [emoji51]

Back