• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Silver Surfer's 7-15-09 Pickin's

Yep, 3 days later and it's time to do it again. This heat is really ripening some pods.
Gonna do it a little differently this time and post some shots of the plants before I
strip the ripe pods from them. I spent a lot of time in the garden this morning harvesting
stuff and it's starting to get hot out here so time for some quick shots and pod pickin.

First up are 2 of this years Naga Morrichs and...
Nagasx2_7-5-09.jpg

the crippled overwintered plant from last year.
Naga2yr7-15-09.jpg

Next we have my two year old Red Hab and...
RedHab2yr7-15-09.jpg

one from this year.
RedHab7-15-09.jpg

My 2 Fataliis and...
Fataliix2_7-15-09.jpg

a late started Fatalli is even getting in on the action this round.
FataliiLate7-15-09.jpg

A side by side comparison of my 2 year old Datil and one from this year that is ripening a few.
Datilx2_7-15-09.jpg

A little closer shot of the two plants, both from tha same Peppermania seed pack.
I think I can safely say that the overwintered plant is a Datil now, at least the
strain Peppermania is selling. These bad boys are hotter than my Habs and better flavor too.
Datilx2close7-15-09.jpg

And here are the 3 and 3/4 pounds of pods plucked from the above plants this morning.
HarvestAll7-15-09.jpg

Closer shot of the Datil pods.
DatilHarv7-15-09.jpg

Red Hab and Fatilii pods.
HabFataliiHarv7-15-09.jpg

And last but definitely not least, the Naga heat.
NagaHarv7-15-09.jpg

And one final shot of them all jacked up. The Habs can't keep this rate up; they're
ripening faster than the new pods can grow. The Nagas will slow down soon for the
same reason; the heat is ripening them faster than the new sets can replace them.
But the Datils and the Fataliis are ripening at a more moderate pace and it looks
as if a steady stream of ripe pods will continue well into the fall.
PiledHarv7-15-09.jpg

Hope your enjoyed the pics and there will be more to pick in just a few days.

The heat is on! :D

very nice SS...looks like you are having a great year so far...hope it holds up for you...

I caught that, had to move up to the yardstick didn't you? Man your plants are running amuck!! Too freaking awesome SS.

I'm sure I told you before but have to tell again: I wish I could grow my peppers in Bama! Maybe in my brother in law's yard...

imaguitargod said:
Great harvest, again!

Thanks Iggy, got the camera back yet?

AlabamaJack said:
very nice SS...looks like you are having a great year so far...hope it holds up for you...

Thanks AJ, if they all died tomorrow I think I already have enough personal stash to last until next season.

Pepper Turd said:
Wasn't that bottle full the other day?:shocked:

Beautiful pods there!

Nope, just an old dead soldier. The one from the other day has been tapped and is kept in the freezer. I don't pollute this fine sippin Tennessee whiskey, even with ice cubes. :P

Thanks PT

patrick said:
I caught that, had to move up to the yardstick didn't you? Man your plants are running amuck!! Too freaking awesome SS.

Thanks patrick, yep the foot long just wasn't measuring up to the task any longer. :D

Armadillo said:
I'm sure I told you before but have to tell again: I wish I could grow my peppers in Bama! Maybe in my brother in law's yard...

Thanks and come on down, I think I can spare a few acres for some share croppin. ;)

Silver_Surfer said:
I don't pollute this fine sippin Tennessee whiskey, even with ice cubes. :P
I totally agree! The only acceptable ice cubes would be frozen well water from the cave in Lynchburg TN!

Silver_Surfer said:
Thanks and come on down, I think I can spare a few acres for some share croppin. ;)
I'll be in Bama end of August but only for about two weeks. Too short of a growing season...

Armadillo said:
I'll be in Bama end of August but only for about two weeks. Too short of a growing season...

Where in Bama? Yeah, can't grow much in 2 weeks but the end of August is about right for planting some collards. ;)

Now that is an awesome pile of peppers. I hope you have some full bottles to drink while munching on those pods, cause with all of that heat, you're going to need it. :lol: Again, great looking pictures, nicely done.

Pepperfreak said:
I hope you have some full bottles to drink while munching on those pods, cause with all of that heat, you're going to need it. :lol:

Nothing soothes the burn quite like some straight up Jack. Makes for an interesting morning after, too. :hell:

So, those pods destined for powder?

Diablo said:
Sweeeeeet! Man! That's just awesome! Wish my freaking Habanero would kick into gear...

I'm sure they will, give em a little more time. Thanks

lavish said:
Nice harvest, looks really delicious!

Thanks, it'll do. ;-)

Pepperfreak said:
Now that is an awesome pile of peppers. I hope you have some full bottles to drink while munching on those pods, cause with all of that heat, you're going to need it. :lol: Again, great looking pictures, nicely done.

Keep a cold bottle in the freezer. Thanks man. :)

caroltlw said:
Nothing soothes the burn quite like some straight up Jack. Makes for an interesting morning after, too. :hell:

So, those pods destined for powder?

JD is the only whiskey that doesn't treat me badly the morning after. Must be the charcoal filtering. ;-)

Got the dehydrator going now. The room is filled with a great chili aroma.

lee said:
Great harvest man, and how do they taste?

Thanks lee, the red habs are sweet and mellow compared to the sharper Datil slightly citrus bite. The Fatalii, well it has a taste all its own but out classes the Datil and Habs in the heat department. The Nagas just get pissed you ate em and stomp your butt for doing so. Heat is off the scale and not much time to taste anything. :mouthonfire:

Back