• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Silver Surfer's 7-18-09 Pod Plunder

The Habs for this round are about played out so the weight was only 2 and 15/16 pounds.
I made up for the weight drop by adding a couple of my larger sweet fruity tasting pods. :D
Melitopolski pod on the left and Blacktail Mountain right; both heirloom varieties.
7-18-09_Harvest.jpg

continued....

Close shot of the Datil goodness. The Datil is a very prolific producer.
Datil-7-18-09.jpg

The Fataliis have many green ones left to pick and are starting to ripen more at once, but
the Red Habs have about shot their wad for this round until the new sets can grow.
Fatalii_Hab7-18-09.jpg

The Nagas are slowing down but I still have quite a few of the lava hot pods to pick.
Naga7-18-09.jpg

That's all till next time.

Toleman said:
Thats amazing, How many plants is that lot from?

Chris

Thanks, pods were harvested from 3 Naga Morrich (one second year), 2 Red Hab (one second year), 3 Fatalii (2 mature and a few from a late start) and 3 Datil (one second year and very few from 2 of this year's starts). So that makes ummm... eleven.

imaguitargod said:
I'd keep my eye on that hat wearing Watermelon....he's definitly up to something....

He left, said he needed to go to town for something and hasn't returned yet.

POTAWIE said:
Great looking harvest there Surfer dude:)

Thanks POTAWIE, temps droped to 65 last night and that's very unusuall for this time of year. Dunno how it'll effect the plants.

Nice harvest. My plants seem to be a little darker green than they did before I looked at your pics. I think they are jealous cuz you have peppers.

lavish said:
Looks delicious, good growing SSurfer

Thanks lavish, these along with some others are being dried and ground into chili powder.

MrArboc said:
You got another pair of siamese twins, didn't you? ;)

Yep, good eye MrArboc. :)

rds040800 said:
Nice harvest. My plants seem to be a little darker green than they did before I looked at your pics. I think they are jealous cuz you have peppers.

Appreciated rds, your pods will come, just takes a little patience. ;)

RichardK said:
Looking very yummy! I love that black pearl, is that what that is?

Yep, I like it too and plan on giving it a little deeper pot and a spot in my bay window this winter. One nice advantage these pearls seem to have is a resistance to bugs. Plants around it can be ravaged but they don't seem to bother this plant much. Maybe the black leaves have the bugs confused. :)

Silver_Surfer said:
Yep, I like it too and plan on giving it a little deeper pot and a spot in my bay window this winter. One nice advantage these pearls seem to have is a resistance to bugs. Plants around it can be ravaged but they don't seem to bother this plant much. Maybe the black leaves have the bugs confused. :)

If so thats a great adaptation, gives it a survival advantage. I wonder how that effects photosynthesis? A dark leaf like that would absorb lots of green light which normally isnt used. I know some bottom dwelling tropical plants absorb more green light than normal plants due to the availability of green light down at the bottom of the rain forest.

SS you may want to start building that storage shed now, no use waiting til the last second.

Other than the 11 you mentioned how many more pepper plants do you have?

We're having a bit of a cool down ourselves, going to enjoy it while it's here, can't change it.

Best of luck to you man.

RichardK said:
If so thats a great adaptation, gives it a survival advantage. I wonder how that effects photosynthesis? A dark leaf like that would absorb lots of green light which normally isnt used. I know some bottom dwelling tropical plants absorb more green light than normal plants due to the availability of green light down at the bottom of the rain forest.

Dunno, it will lose most of it's black color when moved to the shade and reverts to green leaves with dark purple veins.

SumOfMyBits said:
Great haul SS! I gotta get my hands on some Datils for next season.

Thanks, I like em and will overwinter my 2 year old again and maybe treat it better this time. :D

patrick said:
SS you may want to start building that storage shed now, no use waiting til the last second.

Other than the 11 you mentioned how many more pepper plants do you have?

We're having a bit of a cool down ourselves, going to enjoy it while it's here, can't change it.

Best of luck to you man.

I already have a fairly large barn; check the background. ;)
Canta-Cukes6-20-09.jpg

Other peppers include:
1 - Fish (well I have another one still in a 16oz cup)
1 - Bolivian Rainbow
1 - Giant Thai Hot (overwintered)
That's all of the hots; rest are bells and anchos.
Next season I plan on a much larger variety.

Thanks, the cool weather is certainly a surprising and welcome change.

Diablo said:
Most excellent loot!

Thanks Diablo, I hope the cooler weather doesn't hurt pod production.

Back