• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Silver Surfer's Hab or Hab Not 7-21-09

Only managed to pick 2 and 1/2 pounds this round due to the Hab not factor.
DSCN0816.jpg

Shot of the Datil harvest. These plants are pod factories.
DSCN0810.jpg

Fataliis and very few Red Habs. It will be awhile b4 new Hab pods grow to maturity.
DSCN0812.jpg

The Naga Morrichs aren't slacking in production either.
DSCN0811.jpg

Homemade chili powder. I almost finished all that was dried b4 my coffee grinder died.
Anyone recommend a good grinder to replace my dead one?
DSCN0821.jpg

Jeebus Cripes! That's a lotta powda! Excellent haul there SS. Is the yellow stuff fatalii and datil mixed? I like that sand art effect it's got!

As far as coffee grinders go, do you want a burr grinder or one with a blade? I assume you'll use it only for chili powder. I'd check the local goodwill or salvation army type thrift stores. I recently picked a blade type coffee grinder up new in the box for 15.00 at my local goodwill! Super score, especially since I only need it for spices and peppers. Got the burr grinder for the coffee.

It did have a bit of old nasty coffee grounds in it, so I spun a few tablespoons of rock salt up in there, and that cleaned everyting out nicely. Gave a whipe with a damp paper towel and washed the plastic lid... Viola! Like new spice grinder!

Once again, great stash of powder man. I hope I can get a bit of that stuck away this season. Hell, I'd be happy with 1/4th of what you've got there!

Armadillo said:
I recommend the Magic Bullet.

Helluva yield! I'm moving to Bama!;)

Thanks, I'll take a look at those.

FiveStar said:
Jeebus Cripes! That's a lotta powda! Excellent haul there SS. Is the yellow stuff fatalii and datil mixed? I like that sand art effect it's got!

As far as coffee grinders go, do you want a burr grinder or one with a blade? I assume you'll use it only for chili powder. I'd check the local goodwill or salvation army type thrift stores. I recently picked a blade type coffee grinder up new in the box for 15.00 at my local goodwill! Super score, especially since I only need it for spices and peppers. Got the burr grinder for the coffee.

Yes, good guess; the darker powder is the Fatalii. I'll shake and mix b4 use of course. The Fataliis just weren't coming in sufficient quantity and figured that blend would make a nice chili powder.

A small blade grinder was what I used and another that holds up well would do. It just gets a little tedious loading such a small quantity to grind. What brand is yours and how much have you used it?

lee said:
Looks like you will be eating a lot hot stuff, love the shots.

Thanks lee, I'll be warm this winter for sure. :)

Wow amazing pics. Makes my 20 ceyennes that I was stoked to pic look pathatic. I picked up a spice grinder for $30. I like how it's adjustable and holds a good amount of whatever you need to grind. Here is a link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896705012

Not sure about the magic bullet as I got one when they first came out and it didn't last past the summer. Only thing I used it for was margaritas now and then and the bottom blade broke off because it's connected by plastic. Cheap price, but also cheap in quality.

Nice shaker full of powders and another great harvest. I've fired up the dehydrator with the last harvest also. I used my small cuisinart last year but I'll be looking for a cheap coffee bean grinder. Your powder has the consistency I like. Nice haul SS.

Man SS you sure don't do anything asshalved now do you? I can guarantee you I have never seen that much pepper powder--ever.

My goodness. Do you do anything to combat mould formation / colour loss in the powder? I read it was a big problem in commercially bought chilli powder so i'm curious if you notice discolouration over time. Apparently the mould that causes the discolouration isn't very good for us :-O

joeknowsjolokia said:

Thanks for the link. A little more than I want to invest in a grinder though.

LGHT said:
Wow amazing pics. Makes my 20 ceyennes that I was stoked to pic look pathatic. I picked up a spice grinder for $30. I like how it's adjustable and holds a good amount of whatever you need to grind. Here is a link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896705012

Not sure about the magic bullet as I got one when they first came out and it didn't last past the summer. Only thing I used it for was margaritas now and then and the bottom blade broke off because it's connected by plastic. Cheap price, but also cheap in quality.

Wow, I've bought a lot of comp hardware from the egg over the years but never thought of checking there for a grinder. They've really diversified. Thanks for the link.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Nice shaker full of powders and another great harvest. I've fired up the dehydrator with the last harvest also. I used my small cuisinart last year but I'll be looking for a cheap coffee bean grinder. Your powder has the consistency I like. Nice haul SS.

Thanks PRF. Good luck with your grinder search; most I've found have a lot of negative comments. I disassembled mine and found the trouble was a defective micro switch, so now I'm on the hunt for a part. I may just short the switch and use an external one on the main power.

patrick said:
Man SS you sure don't do anything asshalved now do you? I can guarantee you I have never seen that much pepper powder--ever.

Well, my Cajun Seasoning just didn't have the kick I wanted (red pepper is listed as the LAST ingredient) and decided if I wanted "spicy" I'd have to do it myself. :)

LancelBracken said:
My goodness. Do you do anything to combat mould formation / colour loss in the powder? I read it was a big problem in commercially bought chilli powder so i'm curious if you notice discolouration over time. Apparently the mould that causes the discolouration isn't very good for us :-O

That powder is as fresh as it gets, so I can't comment on color loss yet. I've never had any problems with mold and spices, but all of my spices are stored in the fridge.

Did a bit of scouting on choppers and this is the one that Consumer Reports ranks as #1. Black & Decker Ergo EHC650. It's under $20 too. They rate the Magic Bullet 7 out of 8 and it is the most expensive.

I use an old coffee bean grinder and it does a fine job.

patrick said:
Did a bit of scouting on choppers and this is the one that Consumer Reports ranks as #1. Black & Decker Ergo EHC650. It's under $20 too. They rate the Magic Bullet 7 out of 8 and it is the most expensive.

I guess I got my bullet for Christmas!:rolleyes:

You're getting some great harvests there SS and that powder looks great. Only one thing wrong mate..... not a single JD bottle to be seen.

patrick said:

Thanks patrick but I'm not sure a chopper will perform like a grinder when it comes to making chili powder. Neat looking little chopper though.

SeeYouJimmy said:
You're getting some great harvests there SS and that powder looks great. Only one thing wrong mate..... not a single JD bottle to be seen.

Thanks, JD bottle was in use at the time. ;)

Wow, that is just art, SS. Fantastic looking pods.

Nice powder as well. How many pods did it take you to get those filled roughly?

SS according to the literature it can chop to a very fine level. For a measly $20 I think I'll get one myself, can always use it for chopping garlic.:)

Back