Simple solutions for beginners

I've been surfing here for a couple weeks and seems like most of the content here, while very informative and interesting, is too advanced for me. In other words, there's a lot of detail here about fine-tuning and honing your craft but it leaves the beginner (me) fumbling for fundamentals.

For a beginner that just wants to grow some decent peppers, is there 3-4 simple steps we can follow? I found this older post which sorta addressed this:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32007-thoughts-on-very-basic-soilless-grow-mix/page-2?hl=bagged

Can you have success just grabbing a couple Smart Pots, a bag of FoxFarm's Ocean Forest Soil and some Happy Frog soil conditioner and be done? I'm also reading similar material on --- get a bag of Pro-Mix BX and some nutrients and use it for everything from seeds to pot.

I guess I'm asking for a pointer to the basics.

Once I start getting into the weeds of making your own mixtures, ratios of peat:perlite:lime, etc., it starts getting pretty confusing when all I really want is some kick ass peppers. Accomplish that first, then begin dialing it in and maximizing the crop with the techniques you guys use here.

I hope you guys take this as a compliment - I've seen the pics and glogs and I'd be happy with 1/4 of what you're accomplishing.

My advice is:

Step 1: Don't stress - there are literally hundreds of soil mix recipes, make sure your soil can drain well.
Step 2: Leave them alone! - You normally don't need to water everyday, and you sure don't need to fertilize every time you water. You can't force a pepper plant to do anything it doesn't want to do, leave it the heck alone. If you find yourself having to water everyday, try moving your plants into at least some partial shade, they don't want to be wet, but sometimes it is necessary when it's just too hot for them.
Step 3: Have a beer, relax.
Step 4: Leave them alone!

And yes, you can have success with just Happy Frog. Don't overthink it, especially when you are just beginning.

I agre with GhostPepper--don't stress. Get started this year with a good potting soil from a reputable nursery. You'll learn so much in your first year, and then you can fine tune next year.

Above all, have fun,
Tom

+1 for GhostPepper here as well.   My first "successful" year I used 5 gallon pots, some OceanForest soil, and watered when I remembered to.   My first unsuccessful year I used some 5 gallon pots, some potting soil, watered too much, fertilized too much, basically spent too much time "caring" for them and "killed them with kindness".  Peppers are pretty tough plants.  If you just plant them in some decent soil and water them when they start wilting and collapsing you'll be surprised just how hardy they really are. 

I wouldn't suggest using ocean forest to start seeds in. I'm not saying that you can't,I'm just suggesting that you don't. When they get to the proper age,ocean forest is a solid mix. I like a "hot" mix like that for larger transplants because I use granular ferts and the 1 month charge in the OF mix gives my granular time to break down and there is no lag. The plants have food there to use when the OF is depleted. That is just my way,many better ways.

It is hard not to follow somebody else step for step when you see them growing nice plants. There is always a small variable or two that is different and things go bad for the follower. One thing I see a lot is someone says "seedlings don't need fed until they have # amount of leaves",well I use a sterile seed mix and that just isn't true for my situation.

One thing that I think will benefit anyone starting out is to have 1 or 2 test plants set aside from your main grow. There is no sense killing all your plants experimenting. Use the test plants for learning. Good luck and enjoy this great hobby.

Just to clarify given the date I assumed the OP would be purchasing transplants and not starting from seed.  I know parts of Florida have a virtually never ending grow season but transplants are the easiest way to grow a pepper.  For seed starting I usually use jiffy pellets.  I know a lot of people are against them but I've never had any problems with them. 

Some people make growing peppers more complex then it needs to be!
As ghostpepper said dont stress over it.
Just the basics is all that is needed to grow decent peppers
1.Decent or better soil, some of which you already named (dont use them to germinate seeds in, use Jiffy pellets or seed starting mix)
2. Good light or sun esp. after true leaves
3. Water (but dont overwater)
4. Use a (little) nutrients as needed
5. Relax and watch em do their thing
6. * If you need help with your plants, dont hesitate to ask and post pics along with it to make it easier to id the problem, dont try to guess and fix it yourself first.

I have a buddy who grows his peppers in 15 gal pots from seed outside in the heat. He doesn't have a grow setup or lights or a heat pad. Just dirt from his alley, which isn't a great soil for peppers, that doesn't drain well at all. His production every year is just as good as most people in this area. He waters here and there and uses a granule MG fert twice a grow season. It's so simple it's stupid lol but he grows them just fine.

I think that you may be trying to interchange the term/concept of "success" with "a high percentage of production".

You can have "success" with growing peppers by throwing some seeds on the ground and kicking some dirt over them.  As long as the bare minimum of temperature and moisture requirements are met something is probably going to grow.

Moving a step or two up the ladder, if someone buys some jalapeno seeds and a bag of Miracle Grow potting mix and puts both in a  window planter, they will have some percentage of success in getting germination and plant growth.

Most of the tutorials and advice offered in these forums tend towards the advanced side because many in this community are here due to being "enthusiasts" and not your garden variety (pun intended) gardener.  As an enthusiast or professional grower your objective is not to get a a few peppers off your plant in a season, but to maximise production at every step and on every level to get that Nth degree of output.

As such, my elevator pitch of 4 Step Pepper Growing would be:

1. Germinating: keep soil moist but not wet.
2. After Sprouted: water less than you think you should.
3. Fertilise less than you think you should.
4. Light: unless you are growing in a climate extreme, regular daily sunshine exposure will work.

im a beginner i started in january on this forum and it was complicated so i just went the easy way.

i have accomplished decent plants and a good yeild buy buying a couple 3 gallon bag pots online and some fertilizer and some miriclegrow dirt i simply followed the fertilizers instructuions.

i grow in pot because my dirt is really dry and hard so its easier for me to just fill pots up with some potting soil im happy. so you can have success with what you said 

Step #1: find a shaded place in your backyard
Step #2: throw seeds on ground and lightly cover with dirt, just enough so they're covered
Step #3: make/use compost tea for when there's no rain for more than a week
Step #4: wait

if you threw a lot of seeds together they won't grow fast but they'll grow together and you'll get peppers, I've done this 3 times and it's always turned out better than the seeds I had in pots

As stated above in the lists 6StringFire, the most simple solution for a beginner is to keep it simple.

This is only my second year but I learned a lot in the first. You will likely have pests, you will worry about falling flowers, the peppers wont ripen quick enough, and a plant or two may be lost somewhere along the way. This being the second year for me I have been through a lot of that already and am now just a little curious about the more advanced side of things, but I am still very careful about any of that. Sometimes things are easier to experience than explain, and a lot of times you can get all the information you could ever want and it wont make the worrying and doubt go away when it comes to what you have invested so much time in.

Just dont make any drastic decisions to the plant without a little research on exactly what problem you have at the time, usually you will find an answer. People really like to help out, especially on this site. Everything will hopefully go alright for you. Even if you only get a few peppers, iy might be enough to feel at least a little satisfied with your season, and you will always be learning more no matter what.

Don't stress!

As a total beginner I highly recommend buying some transplants from your local nursery, big box store, or reputable online vendor. Even if you really want to start some exotic seeds, buy some transplants as well. There are a lot of ways seed starts can go wrong, so having a few plants that are already thriving will keep you sane.

Good post btw. I'm in my first grow, i too went simple.

Miracle grow putting soil
Perlite (i didn't do any specific ratio, i did more of a "hey that looks like it will drain well" mix

Water when the plants begin to wilt, do not water before then.

When plant growth slows, put it in a bigger pot. Repeat until you're in at least 5 gallon pots.

My plants look good, healthy and strong. AD i become accustomed to the plants, I'll try new things.

I had purchased a bhut, 1 single plant awhile back and actually killed it by shock after transplanting, then too much water... :rolleyes:
So I went to the local landscaping shop and spent 150.00 on chicken poop, mushroom compost, aged mannure, and peat moss and sand and good soil organic mixture, and cedar mulch for topping.

BUT....after reading a lot on here and also other places on the internet, I have 52 different varieties growing and although they are slooooowww to grow, they seem to be very happy.
I have seen several good posts and advice on this forum, which I think is great..the search tool is awesome!! ( although) I am too lazy to use it all the time. Good guys and gals here. Lots of information and readily available help. :onfire:

I would like to add to the point about being patient (this goes for all types of growing I guess). You are not bidding on the stock market or making life and death decisions by the minute, if you make any mistakes such as over watering or nute burn there is usually time fix it, if you are particularly busy at work for a week or so and dont really have time to check up on your plants, there is no need to stress you can make up for it.

Bottom line just go for it and you will figure it out.

This a good thread . I to am a first timer at this and I've made already made a rookie mistake in over ferterlizing a couple of my my transplants . After asking a couple of questions on here and following some good advice from the kind people on here . I've quickly realized that the best thing to do is just leave the plants alone and let them do thier thing !! Give them good soil , water them them only when they need to be watered and give them plenty of sunshine and also shade on those really hot days and they will do the rest !

Thanks RedRum801...

After my original post and reading some of the (greatly appreciated) feedback, I began to think a little deeper about this. Truthfully, my "insight" below stems from your collective response to my question.

I participate in other (unrelated) boards and there is a common thread in these discussion forums. Generally speaking, a community of beginners, intermediates and advanced participants intermingle and share insight on a broad scope of topics.  Invariably, a newbie reads a post from MasterX and believes these words will instantly propel him to mastery.

Can you tell me what's missing from that equation?

So far, the lesson I've learned from this thread; take a step back and let the plant be a plant. Plants have somehow managed this far without me.

I mean, that's not to say I wouldn't have a pepper kingdom by sprinkling a touch of fish emulsion - just that i'm not even a prince with wisdom to apply the correct ratio of sun and water.

Back