• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SKULLBIKERS Roaring Into The Twenties GLOG

A funny little story about planting saved seeds. Well, it's funny to me but probably not to someone who only grows a small number of plants. Anyway, I had about 12 Orange Spice Jalapeno plants last spring from seed from a commercial vendor. Five of those plants produced pods as advertised. The other seven produced standard jalapeno peppers that went from green to red and were 3 to 4 inches long instead of orange and about 1 1/2 inch long. These pods were quite tasty as jalapenos go, they just weren't correct. 
So I saved seeds from the correct phenos and thanks to my mostly never ending growing season I am now seeing the fruit on the plants being grown from that seed. Since I realize the seed I bought was probably from unstable hybrids and so all the funny business. I have five plants growing from the seed I saved from those Orange Spice and EVERY ONE is putting out nice round pods. They are green now so I have no idea what the final color will be, maybe I'll have Orange Bombs!

D5D64530-48E0-47FC-BCD0-219140CCA149.jpeg

I have now purchased seed for both Orange Spice and Lemon Spice Jalapenos from another vendor(Sandia Seed) so we will see how that goes in the spring run.

Yep .... I think there's some instability in them.   My Lemon and Orange Spice pods were true .... but I saw all kinds of variability in the plant size and shape.  We'll see what happens this coming year. What really ticked me off was that I had all of my F1 Mucho Nachos turn out as huge yellow bell peppers this year.  Not a mix up on my part ..... no bell peppers were in the plan.  They were the largest bell peppers that I have ever seen.  Friends and family loved them.  Not what I wanted.  Obviously a supplier issue.   

skullbiker said:
A funny little story about planting saved seeds. Well, it's funny to me but probably not to someone who only grows a small number of plants. Anyway, I had about 12 Orange Spice Jalapeno plants last spring from seed from a commercial vendor. Five of those plants produced pods as advertised. The other seven produced standard jalapeno peppers that went from green to red and were 3 to 4 inches long instead of orange and about 1 1/2 inch long. These pods were quite tasty as jalapenos go, they just weren't correct. 
So I saved seeds from the correct phenos and thanks to my mostly never ending growing season I am now seeing the fruit on the plants being grown from that seed. Since I realize the seed I bought was probably from unstable hybrids and so all the funny business. I have five plants growing from the seed I saved from those Orange Spice and EVERY ONE is putting out nice round pods. They are green now so I have no idea what the final color will be, maybe I'll have Orange Bombs!

attachicon.gif
D5D64530-48E0-47FC-BCD0-219140CCA149.jpeg

I have now purchased seed for both Orange Spice and Lemon Spice Jalapenos from another vendor(Sandia Seed) so we will see how that goes in the spring run.

Mr.joe said:
Taste good and produce plenty is more important than the color I think although it is frustrating not knowing what you are really growing.

Harry_Dangler said:
Yep .... I think there's some instability in them.   My Lemon and Orange Spice pods were true .... but I saw all kinds of variability in the plant size and shape.  We'll see what happens this coming year. What really ticked me off was that I had all of my F1 Mucho Nachos turn out as huge yellow bell peppers this year.  Not a mix up on my part ..... no bell peppers were in the plan.  They were the largest bell peppers that I have ever seen.  Friends and family loved them.  Not what I wanted.  Obviously a supplier issue.   

We watched Second Hand Lions last Sunday night...

https://youtu.be/YjoJ2QH3Rkw

The ONE pod on one of my Rocoto Montufar plants.

394C0A03-40A9-494B-AF7F-8506E41363B6.jpeg

An Equadorian Sweet Rocoto plant doesn't look great but keeps putting out the pods.

D899C8CD-A9AE-44CF-A034-5865A2265233.jpeg

Sugar Rush Peach still coming along.

BC510533-EDA8-4AB7-B531-EA34FF50EC2B.jpeg

I picked a few pods yesterday: (clockwise) Borg 9, Bhut Jalokia Indian Carbon, Equadorian Sweet Rocoto, Devils Brain

8F27C7C9-5434-4C3D-BF5C-CD83F5CBBFD4.jpeg

Short Days and cool weather=low production

So, walking around the plants today I noticed one of the Orange Spice Jalapeño X Nobody Knows with the round pods this time around has a pod with a bit of an orange shade to it as it changes from green. ALRIGHT, if these end up having some heat I just might have my ORANGE BOMBS!

F96A181F-5B99-49DE-B6B5-1E34B4185FA2.jpeg

And, the Rocoto Montufar plant with the lone pod is now showing a few of these.

26A36190-157B-4203-A620-305B4EB4CC76.jpeg

GOOD TIMES growing stuff for sure. 

Well, referring back to #630, the pod is definitely orange as compared to a red pod.

59E9D781-9361-4DA9-B756-A749605BC1DF.jpeg

About golf ball sized.

1B2E9E35-3AE3-43FC-9E87-7F03B08C97E6.jpeg

Thick walled and super juicy.

F636F798-CED7-4320-A5D5-1D56CA180CCB.jpeg

Annnnnnndddd, the taste test. Very sweet with NO bell pepper taste.
But, also NO heat. Unless some heat emerges on later pods or on another plant these will be used wherever you would use a really good sweet pepper.

6A0A2A15-4E23-4FF7-80B9-58FF85B7C819.jpeg

I will probably plant a few seeds and see what the next generation brings.

DontPanic said:
How did the Rocoto San Isidro work out for you this year?

I have some of those seeds from Atlantic Pepper Seeds, and I was thinking of trying my luck with those next year.

I got a few pods this year but not many. I kind of neglected those plants and it showed in the end. I still have 2 plants going, one is doing fairly well now with maybe 15 green pods on it right now. The other plant is a bit bleak looking, that is where I got that small single ripe pod. My taste buds suck but these have good upper medium heat and not near as sweet as a Montufar. I would like to get enough pods to make a fermented sauce, but we will see how that goes.

This will probably be my last post on this 2020 glog. I must say that 2020 was an interesting year with a lot of learning. I will start a new Glog, Flog, and Growing other threads in the near future.
I have also made a New Years Resolution to take care of the promises made this last season.

Back