• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Slade's 2016 Texas Grow

Well, it's the new year, and it's time to get things going for 2016.

First up, last year's grow can be found here -> http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44060-slade122s-2014-greenhouse-glog/

I'm going to grow around the same number of plants as I did last year. Somewhere between 130-150.

I decided to do my starts differently this year. I'm going to start them entirely in the greenhouse, rather than starting them in my seed stand. I'm using 2 48"x20" heat mats. I'm planting in 3x8 cell layout "Landscape Trays" with dimensions  2.32"W x 2.2"L x 3.06"H. Last grow I used a ton of 2" individual cups. It was a really big pain, not doing that again. The only thing I'm risking is greater potential for disease and pest infestations, but I've been pre-treating for those issues for a while now to prevent them from cropping up, and will continue to do so.

I'm also starting later than I did last year. Last year I started my seeds in late October. They were far too big to stay in the greenhouse with the quantity of plants I was growing.

I pre-wet the Promix BX in my trays for planting the next day.

My grow list for this year (subject to change of course):

King Naga
Red Savina Habanero
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Peach Bhut (SS) [PL]
Moruga Scorpion Red
Moruga Scorpion Yellow
Moruga Scorpon Caramel
VV7 Scorpion
Douglah
7 Pot Primo Red
7 Pot Primo Yellow
7 Pot Brain Strain Red
Jona's Yellow Brain
7 Pot Madballz
7 Pot Barrackapore
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Mustard
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Caramel
7 Pot Brown
7 Pot Orange
7 Pot Cacanaguas
Peach Congo [PL]
Devil's Tongue
Devil's Brain [PL]
Aji Colorado
Tekne Dolmasi (My only sweet/stuffer of the year)

Overwintered Plants:

Chocolate Bhut
Red Bhut
White Naga
Moruga Scorpion Red
Bahamian Goat
Yucatan White Hab
Lemon Drop
Arroz Con Pollo
Chitlepin

Over 120 out of 144 have sprouted. Looks like 1 or 2 varieties may have had bunk seeds, not a single sprout. I'll still have plenty for my grow with my overwinters. They are currently getting a combination of Fox Farm's Grow Big, and some generic rooting booster I picked up that is high in P. True leaves are setting in, and looking healthy. The single annuum variety sticks out like a sore thumb.

Tekne Dolmasi is my only annuum. It is in the 4th row from the left. They are the tallest plants and the leaf shape is a dead giveaway.

So far the totals for sprouting are:

7/8 devils brain
6/8 devils tongue
3/4 aji Colorado
0/4 red savina
7/8 tekne Dolmasi
3/8 reapers
3/4 king Naga (1 weak seedling)
4/4 bhut orange Copenhagen
6/8 peach bhut ss
3/4 vv7 scorpion
4/4 yellow moruga (2 weak seedlings )
8/8 caramel moruga
7/8 7 pod bubblegum
5/8 7 pod barrackapore
6/8 7 pod madballz (1 weak)
8/8 jonah's yellow brain
4/8 yellow 7 pod primo
3/8 red 7 pod primo
6/8 chacanaguas
2/8 douglah
3/8 7 pod red
6/8 7 pod yellow
8/8 7 pod mustard
0/8 7 pod orange
8/8 7 pod caramel
4/8 7 pod Brown
6/8 7 pod white

My loquats. Normally the flowers freeze, but this year it didn't freeze, so I get loquats from this tree for the first time.

stc3248 said:
Fellow Texan...nice start! I am jealous of that greenhouse setup!
Thank you, hopefully this year will be as good or better than a last year.
LittleJake1973 said:
Man that bonsai looks very similar to my reapers that I cut back and over wintered....great list too
I'm pretty sure the bonzai is an anuum.

Here are the babies, coming along nicely for the most part.

Here's my bonzai. Picking up quickly, nice stem growth and some flowers forming.

Anyways, that's about it for right now.

Flats filling in. Probably time to transfer to the 5 gallon pots outdoors with my overwinters soon.

The bonzai has been exploding.

And started its first pod. It looks like a criolla de cocina, which is a large, very wrinkly, thin fleshed sweet pepper. It's going to look very awkward later when the pods get big.

Onward and upward!

Very nice grow!

Did you get hit with the cold weather the last 10 days?

A bit from the norm for mid to late March, but I've seen it before.

Good luck this year!

We did have a cold snap around then, but it didn't freeze. We hit the high 30's.

Over the past few weeks I planted all of them out. The ones in the farthest right were planted out 2 weeks earlier and are much larger than the ones left in the trays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Nice grow! I just wanted to drop by and say thanks again for the Baha Goat seeds. I got 4/5 to pop and they are my most vigorous so far.

Glad to hear it Malarky! Thanks for checking out my glog.

Here is. Little update on my progression

Family photo. Squirrels keep digging up my plants, a few may die. It's okay though, I have spares. The ones planted two weeks earlier are really taking off.

Early transplant c chinese.

Transplanted later

Early transplant anuum

Early transplant aji Colorado

Over wintered aji limon podding up

Over wintered Bahamian pod

Hydroponic system with basil and broccoli. All of the basil were volunteers from last year.

I started an aquarium project because I'm now on autopilot because everything automated. It is very difficult to over water the plants as well due to the coco/perlite mix.

The weather has been decent here lately. We've had more rain than normal, but no severe flooding like last year.

Group pic. Growth continues to speed up.

Tekne Dolmasi podding up

Aji Colorado flowering

Mini harvest.

I think the c. Chinese will put out their first flowers very soon.

Back