• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Slater's 50 Alarm Burger

Slater's 50/50 is a SoCal burger joint famous for their 50/50 patty; made of 50% ground bacon and 50% ground beef. I've never been to one until recently and that's when I discovered the 50 Alarm Burger. It comes with ghost pepper jack cheese, bacon habanero spread, fresh jalapeño, beer battered habanero poppers on a brioche bun. They also make you sign a waiver before eating the burger plus they bring you gloves to wear. I was a little skeptical about how hot this burger could be but before ordering our food I overheard the group of guys sitting at the table next to us daring each other to try the 50 Alarm burger and one of them was saying, "No way, man! I had the flamin' hot (their 2nd hottest burger) and that was too hot." I immediately knew this was the burger for me to try.

Now I don't know if it's because of my small frame or clean cut look but apparently I don't come off as someone who can handle hot foot because when I told the waitress I wanted the 50 Alarm her eyes widened and she responded, "Are you sure? It's a really spicy burger." I was like, "Of course I'm sure. Bring it on, baby!" I signed the waiver, drank my beer, and anxiously waited for my burger to arrive, hoping I wasn't going to be let down again by some gimmicky named burger.

So once the burger arrives I snickered at the gloves and tossed them to the side and immediately took a huge bite into the burger and my first impression was that this was a damn good burger. Then that oh so familiar taste of habanero hit my tongue and the heat slowly started to kick in. Everybody at my table was staring at me to see my reaction and with a big smile on my face I gave them a thumbs up and kept on eating. I was halfway done with the burger when tiny beads of sweat started forming on my forehead, and I'm not trying to make excuses, but it was 95+ degrees outside and the a/c wasn't working too great where we were sitting. Other than that it was pretty tolerable heat. I'd say it was like any sandwich I make at home that I chop a couple of habaneros in but instead of a sandwich it was a gourmet burger.

The waiters brought out a complimentary sample of some spicy IPA beer that I washed back with my last few bites and that was that. Overall I have to say I was very satisfied with the heat and flavor of the burger and I would definitely go back and eat that burger again. 

Here's a stock photo of the burger I found online. Pictures of food usually don't look like the actual product but this one is pretty close.

slaters-5050-alarm-burger.jpg

That actually sounds pretty tasty.  

The ghost pepper jack sounds like it'd be a rather nice addition to...any burger, really.

Great story and review Tony! Is that the Slaters in Anaheim Hills or Rancho? Every time I go to Bass Pro I keep thinking about trying it, but always resort to going to "The Hat" for their famous Pastrami. It's right next to "The Hat". After seeing that burger I’m definitely going to check it out. 

SL3 said:
Great story and review Tony! Is that the Slaters in Anaheim Hills or Rancho? Every time I go to Bass Pro I keep thinking about trying it, but always resort to going to "The Hat" for their famous Pastrami. It's right next to "The Hat". After seeing that burger I’m definitely going to check it out. 

It's actually the one in Pasadena. You can't go wrong with The Hat for pastrami but if you like craft beer and want a thick juicy burger, as opposed to the thin patties at In 'n Outs, then Slaters is definitely a place you should try. Don't get me wrong... I love In 'n Out burgers but every now and then I like biting into a 1/3 lb patty while sipping on a good craft brew.

Reactions: SL3
Tony Cappello said:

It's actually the one in Pasadena. You can't go wrong with The Hat for pastrami but if you like craft beer and want a thick juicy burger, as opposed to the thin patties at In 'n Outs, then Slaters is definitely a place you should try. Don't get me wrong... I love In 'n Out burgers but every now and then I like biting into a 1/3 lb patty while sipping on a good craft brew.
I think the Original one is Anaheim hills, then they did HB, Rancho, pasadena and the last one was Laguna... i really like their burgers.. but i tried that burger and the first few bites were really good, then the fire kicked in and since my tolerance for heat in say... sissy lala status i gave the burger to my sister. lol.  Great spot!!  If you guys like spicy beer, go to Stone Brewery in Escondido/San Marcos, they have a Habanero stout that taste amazing with ribs!.

Tony Cappello said:
Slater's 50/50 is a SoCal burger joint famous for their 50/50 patty; made of 50% ground bacon and 50% ground beef. I've never been to one until recently and that's when I discovered the 50 Alarm Burger. It comes with ghost pepper jack cheese, bacon habanero spread, fresh jalapeño, beer battered habanero poppers on a brioche bun. They also make you sign a waiver before eating the burger plus they bring you gloves to wear. I was a little skeptical about how hot this burger could be but before ordering our food I overheard the group of guys sitting at the table next to us daring each other to try the 50 Alarm burger and one of them was saying, "No way, man! I had the flamin' hot (their 2nd hottest burger) and that was too hot." I immediately knew this was the burger for me to try.

Now I don't know if it's because of my small frame or clean cut look but apparently I don't come off as someone who can handle hot foot because when I told the waitress I wanted the 50 Alarm her eyes widened and she responded, "Are you sure? It's a really spicy burger." I was like, "Of course I'm sure. Bring it on, baby!" I signed the waiver, drank my beer, and anxiously waited for my burger to arrive, hoping I wasn't going to be let down again by some gimmicky named burger.

So once the burger arrives I snickered at the gloves and tossed them to the side and immediately took a huge bite into the burger and my first impression was that this was a damn good burger. Then that oh so familiar taste of habanero hit my tongue and the heat slowly started to kick in. Everybody at my table was staring at me to see my reaction and with a big smile on my face I gave them a thumbs up and kept on eating. I was halfway done with the burger when tiny beads of sweat started forming on my forehead, and I'm not trying to make excuses, but it was 95+ degrees outside and the a/c wasn't working too great where we were sitting. Other than that it was pretty tolerable heat. I'd say it was like any sandwich I make at home that I chop a couple of habaneros in but instead of a sandwich it was a gourmet burger.
The waiters brought out a complimentary sample of some spicy IPA beer that I washed back with my last few bites and that was that. Overall I have to say I was very satisfied with the heat and flavor of the burger and I would definitely go back and eat that burger again. 

Here's a stock photo of the burger I found online. Pictures of food usually don't look like the actual product but this one is pretty close.

slaters-5050-alarm-burger.jpg
To echo RainingLemur this does sound delicious. And since capsaicin is basically a low level statin, some of that saturated fat was no doubt offset.

I looked up a video link to this burger on Youtube, and it looked pretty tolerable to the guy eating it. I like that it's edible. There's a pizza called "Death By Pizza" made by some company which weighs in at a reckless 12 million Scoville (it uses an extract sauce), which I can't imagine being fun. There's a happy middle gound to be sure. Virtually every sandwich I make, I mix a superhot variety puree into a spread for. It simply isn't as tasty without it.

Back