• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Slight issue. Please advice

I have all my plants in 20cm pots. And the plants are placed on soil. Today i moved the pots and noticed the plants have roots coming out of them and some have gone into the soil underneath. Is it time to repot or can i just trim the roots. It's officially Autumn in Sydney now and i was actually thinking of overwintering these plants in thier current pots and then repotting them next season. Any advice?

roots coming out of the bottom is a good thing IMO...they get to the ground and seek water and are much sturdier plants...

if you are getting ready to overwinter them, just pull the roots out of the ground and trim them as you suggested...

I perform an extreme cutback when I bring plants inside...there are two ways to overwinter I have used...one is to cut them back, put them in a dark cool corner and water very little, then transplant in the spring...the other way is to cut them back, move them inside under lights and let them grow back during the winter...

here is a shot of a 3rd year scorpion that I cut back, put them under lights and let them grow...they are producing tons of flowers now with some pod set...I cut them back the first of December...these are in 10 gallon smart pots and will be transplanted to 25 gallon containers in about 2-3 weeks...

03-14-12a002.jpg
03-14-12a003.jpg

Dang AJ. Mad skillz man.

Can't add anything to AJ's advice, man knows his stuff.

However you might want to think about using larger pots next time. If the roots are looking for room to grow then the plant is probably close to being rootbound. That may have effected your harvest this year. Just a thought.

He's in Sydney, Australia. Overwintering here usually means putting the plants on the porch out of the rain, maybe bring them inside (or a tent/shed) for a couple of cold early spring mornings.
Edit:
Potential frost days on any coastal cities in Australia is less than 10.
http://www.bom.gov.a...frost/index.jsp

It's rare to get below 38F in the coastal areas. The map above just shows the deserts, and the big group of mountains (large hills) in the south eastern region where all the ski resorts are.

I suppose my point is that you should cut back your plants after your last major harvest and before/at first frost...if your grow season is really long...that's OK too, but you still need to cut the plants back for two reasons...one is to promote new bushy healthy growth, the other is to be able to align your being ready to plantout in spring with when you can plantout...

once your temperatures drop to about 10-15C for highs, the plants are going to slow down growth and production significantly...use this slow growth period to "refresh" your plants for the next year...

Thansk for the advice guys. I am in Sydney and liek someone mentioned above we don't get very cold winters and frost. Overwintering for me was to move the plants under the greenhouse i got. They've stopped flowering now so only a few pods ripening aways. Some still have few flowers on them. Once i harvest all the pods and the flowers are gone then i am planning to move them in the greenhouse.

Back