beer Slight overshot my OG....Passow Brews Part 2

Well, I slightly overshot my estimated Original Gravity. The silly free online converter said my brew will have a OG of 1.053....well....it came in at 1.1!!!!!!!! If my estimate is correct, my beer will come in at around 11% abv!!!! :shocked:

I hadn't planed on it, but looks like this will be Passow's Imperial Pumpkin Ale!!!!

For those hat don't know, the OG is the thickness of the liquid and is used in determining the abv of your beer. Water has a raiting of 1.000.

FG is a huge part of that equation.

OG includes unfermentables sometimes, which do not convert into alcohol.

That will be a monster though! Pumpkin eh? What was the technique? Roasted pumpkin the boil?

You are addicted now aren't you!;)

cheezydemon said:
FG is a huge part of that equation.

OG includes unfermentables sometimes, which do not convert into alcohol.

That will be a monster though! Pumpkin eh? What was the technique? Roasted pumpkin the boil?
Ya, I'm hoping the FG will be around 1.013.... I roated them in the oven for about an hour (coated them slightly with expensive high grade Almond oil so they didn't dry out), then boiled them at 160 degrees (my brewer friend told me that this is the key temp for a nice flavor). I'll post the recipe when I get home.
cheezydemon said:
You are addicted now aren't you!;)
Ya, very addicted. I'm looking at going a Stone clone next. Have the recipes sitting in front of me right now. The price is going to kill me though...

I guess you have the latest issue of BYO in front of you?

Very cool. A buddy of mine has given me a subscription the last 2 years. I need to figure out something cool to get him.

Yeah, he is stationed in Georgia right now. His wife'e family lives here in town, but I only see him once a year or so.

I sent my brother in law with a couple of sixers of homebrew to give this guy the last time he was in town, (I wasn't going to be able to see him myself)
My brother in law called me the next day, "OH! no I didn't get to see him after all, but those beers sure were good!";)

cheezydemon said:
Yeah, he is stationed in Georgia right now. His wife'e family lives here in town, but I only see him once a year or so.
So how many times do you see his wife...nudge nudge wink wink.... :lol:

Oh my GOD!! That shit was so funny!!!!!!

One guy got raped 20 times!!!!HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN UNLESS YOU FUCKING LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!! lol! sorry!

Shit, I forgot to bring my herbs and lettuce. We can't have a proper dry raping without greenery!

Here's the recipe:
Passow’s Imperial Pumpkin Beer
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains and pumpkin)
OG = 1.1 FG = 1.013(?) ABV = 11% (?)

Ingredients
4 lbs. (0.57 kg) Muntons Light dried malt extract
0.5lbs Caramel 60/Crystal 60
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) 2-row pale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) CaraPils malt
6 lbs. (2.3–2.7 kg) pumpkin (cubed)
1oz Cascade hops (60 mins)
1 tlbs of FRESHLY MADE pumpkin pie spice
4lbs of Belgium Amber Candi Sugar
Dried ale yeast
0.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Slice in halp and deseed pumpkin, lightly coat the pumpkin with oil (I used expensive high grade Almond oil). Cook pumpkin in the oven at 350F until brown. Place in pot and smash/mash skins and all after it’s cooked. Boil in water for 60 minutes at 160F then cool. Heat separate pot of water to 150 °F. Place crushed grains in steeping bag and steep grains at 150-155 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. Remove grains, add dry malt extract and hops. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at the start of the boil. Start adding a pound at a time of the Belgium Candi at the 25 minute mark. Add the spices with 10 minutes left in the boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter (pour the wort and pumpkin water through your spent grains). Top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with water. Aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment at 65-69 °F.

Hmmm...4 pounds of Muntons, 4 pounds Belgian Candi sugar. Those two together consider to be a total of 8 pounds of extract, all things being equal. Then add the mashed grains and the addition of the pumpkin. That's alot of fermentables but...you are only using 1 oz. of Cascades and no finishing hops. With all that pumpkin, I would think you wouldn't have even a hint of hops on the back of the palette. Trying to taste this stuff in my mind and all I come up with is too malty pumpkin. Then too, consider that I am also a toasted malt/saaz hop kinda guy.

Cheers, TB.

I was going for a well balanced, main empahsis on pumpkin, second emphasis on spices beer. But keep in mind it is an ounce of hops so that will have some slight effect on the taste, nbot much, but some.

Must be me. Back in the day of the white buffalo and the dinosaur when I brewed my last batch, I was using 2-3 oz. of cascade/willamette/hallertuer and then at least an oz. the last two minutes. Are you using fresh hops or pellets?

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Must be me. Back in the day of the white buffalo and the dinosaur when I brewed my last batch, I was using 2-3 oz. of cascade/willamette/hallertuer and then at least an oz. the last two minutes. Are you using fresh hops or pellets?

Cheers, TB.

Nope, no finishing hops or dry hopping going on.

Back