• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Slight yellowing of the leaves. Otherwise healthy plant. Why?

This is an indoor plant under one 13 watt and four 23 watt CFL's.
The plant is just under a foot high and it has popped out twenty buds, half of which have already opened.
I am pollinating them with a q-tip and this is working. There are three peppers growing nicely so far.

The plant stopped growing as soon as pollination began, and that is fine with me, but the leaves have developed a yellow tint.
The plant was strong and dark green before flowering. The soil is from a bag of some organic stuff mixed with a bag of store brand fertilized potting soil. The plant is not being watered excessively, not enough water if anything.

I just added a teaspoon of houseplant fertilizer to the soil a few days ago and gave it a normal watering.
So, pepperheads, why are my leaves not bright, dark green like they were before flowering a few weeks ago?

If its not over watering, your plant might need more N. See if it greens up after feeding it a few times. Liquid seaweed and worm tea will also help green up your leaves. Maybe it could use potting up depending on what size pot you have it in.

Dont you lay off the nitrogen during the flowering stage?

If you want the plants to fruit, yes. But like I said if he isnt over watering then it could be lacking N. Or might just need to be potted up? Im trying to find out the facts first.

I don't think you need to drop the nitrogen down if you are using a balanced fertilizer. If you are using a high nitrogen fertilizer then yes. But pepper plants can fruit and veg at the same time. So in my opinion, balanced is the way to go. Don't take my word for it, the Guru has said it himself: http://thehotpepper....ea/#entry648712

Edit: Sorry for bringing it further off topic. OP I'm inclined to agree with megahot's advice on it either needing more N or needing to be potted up. Can you shed some light on the pot size and how long it's been in the pot?

And a picture of the leaves would be helpful in further diagnosis as well.

Back