• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Sloppy gardening, now I need help

Upper left: Yellow Trinidad Moruga
Upper right: Red Bhut Jolokia
Bottom row: I cant tell. I think they are both Jolokia peppers. Maybe theyellow one is a scorpion. Should I judge by shape or color?

1174992_10202078257428313_6941179_n.jpg

Nope. Red Ghost and yellow TSM are the only super hots I have planted. The seeds were harvested out of last year's pods.

I guess I should throw out there a question about the pod skin texture (just so I can learn a little). Is the smooth vs. bumpy just something that happen within the same variety? I seem to have some smooth Bhuts and bumpy ones.

Yes. The seeds were harvested from bhut pods and TSM pods last year. Virtually all of the bhuts look like bhuts, and the scorps look like scorps. There are just two plants with fruits that look like these different ones.

Ah, crap. Just remembered ... i got some free seeds from a super hot last fall from a grower, and I forgot the name. It was red and smooth skinned. At least one of the mystery peppers is that one. 

Even the top right Bhut has a peculiar look to me, it may might explain why the bottom two turned out quirky.

If you did not isolate flowers last year, then i'm betting that one of your Bhut donor pods turned out to be crossed, and produced the two peppers at the bottom of the pic.

But, one of your donor yellow Moruga pods from last year may have been crossed as well, and produced that red specimen at the bottom right.

Then you also have mutations or genetics to consider, sometimes a yellow seed will produce red pods, and vice versa.

You may never figure it out, but if you haven't been isolating flowers, i would start right now to get good pure donor pods before the season ends.

^^ yes, whether it is crossed or not. That's one of the ways that some of the Bhut colors were produced. Sometimes you'll have one single branch with different color pods than the rest of the plant.

People then grow out the seeds from isolated pods until the color/trait stabilizes. Sometimes they use techniques that involve cloning too.

Back