• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Slugs!!!

They are everywhere and eat all the new growth.   Anybody know of a safe way to kill these things?
I don't want to mess with copper tape and beer traps.   

It repels them. They don't like the feel of it. I have slugs everywhere around here (humid) but not a one next to my plants and all I use is coffee grounds. Diatomaceous earth will also work. Salt will kill them outright. I'm trying to stay as organic as possible but I'm sure there are other chemical means to kill them besides salt. :) 

Try some DIY beer traps.Cut the bottom off a soda bottle and half fill with some beer and bury in the soil.The slugs are attracted to the yeast and will drown.

I use Sluggo. It's Iron basically but they ingest it and it makes them not eat so they die.

Swampy_NZ said:
Try some DIY beer traps.Cut the bottom off a soda bottle and half fill with some beer and bury in the soil.The slugs are attracted to the yeast and will drown.
That does work but I drink good beer and I am not wasting it on some damn mollusks! :rofl:

i tried beer traps and they caught a few each night, but many more still found the plants. Ive had good results with slug pellets, which use iron phosphate and spinosad bacteria

Back