• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Small Black "Beetle", Unknown! Need Help Identifying

I'm going through this morning taking some photos of my peppers to finally update my Grow log http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73278-my-zone-6a-ct-1st-time-growing-from-seed and came across some bugs I can't identify. Across all my gardens I've found aphids, mealy bugs, spiders, preying mantis, lady bugs, baby lady bugs (the larvae thing) and some 3 lined potato beetles this year. I came across these little black beetle looking bugs on the top of several of my reapers this morning. They didn't appear to be going under the leaves, nor trying to suck sap or hide. They were literally walking around on the top of the tomato cages and tops of leaves as if looking for something. Some of them were almost in a line doing the same thing going across the top. In the same area on same plant I found a few lady bug larvae doing their thing hunting. 

They almost look like a tick to me, but don't try to latch onto my finger and when i put stick or finger nearby they don't seem interested/run away.Apologize for some blur spots, but you'll see some up close and the "black dots" on tomato cage top are them kind of running around doing their thing.

Is this a harmful pest or something I should be thankful to have? 

Attachments

• 307.jpg
    307.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 118
  • 310.jpg
    310.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 311.jpg
    311.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 315.jpg
    315.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 108
  • 321.jpg
    321.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 323.jpg
    323.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 325.jpg
    325.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 103
darkchile said:
I'm going through this morning taking some photos of my peppers to finally update my Grow log http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73278-my-zone-6a-ct-1st-time-growing-from-seed and came across some bugs I can't identify. Across all my gardens I've found aphids, mealy bugs, spiders, preying mantis, lady bugs, baby lady bugs (the larvae thing) and some 3 lined potato beetles this year. I came across these little black beetle looking bugs on the top of several of my reapers this morning. They didn't appear to be going under the leaves, nor trying to suck sap or hide. They were literally walking around on the top of the tomato cages and tops of leaves as if looking for something. Some of them were almost in a line doing the same thing going across the top. In the same area on same plant I found a few lady bug larvae doing their thing hunting. 

They almost look like a tick to me, but don't try to latch onto my finger and when i put stick or finger nearby they don't seem interested/run away.Apologize for some blur spots, but you'll see some up close and the "black dots" on tomato cage top are them kind of running around doing their thing.

Is this a harmful pest or something I should be thankful to have?

IMO:
Bad news. Those look like Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Nymphs. They are probably looking for ripe pods. I've noticed they like to suck the color right out of your pods. Little soft spots lacking pigment. And it'll rot the inside sometimes. Most of the time, for me, they are just aesthetically discouraging.
stink-bug-life-cycle-span.jpg

Cleanse them with :fire:
Seriously, though.......I don't know how to rid of them aside from physically kicking their a$$e$.
I'm sure they do other damage, too.........

Well dang, just what I needed is stink bugs. Pyrethrin help versus using or neem? I got both readily available.

Notice the red/color doesn't spread across entire back, just their sides though versus photos I can bring up of them.

Yeah, I know, right!
They look a lot like ladybug larvae without the "tadpole-tail".

They still might be ladybugs. Check this out.
91A6lQ76d8L.jpg

If they ARE ladybugs, you have help in NUMBERS!!!! Loads of them.

That's what i'm wondering if its lady bugs. I did see a little larvae I'm almost positive is ladybug on the same circlet of tomato cage crawling around fast. I wasn't able to get a photo but definitely looks like a discolored little alligator, and went right by these beetle things and paid them no attention.

I did have aphids show up a few weeks ago, and have seen daddy long legs & preying mantis few times on my plants (around the middle area like that). 

Let me go see if I can get a few better photos of any of this.

Here's a few higher quality photos to show the little bugs. They are literally just running around on the top of the cage & top few leaves. They aren't trying to eat the leaves or anything that I can tell.

Attachments

• 348.jpg
    348.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 351.jpg
    351.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 352.jpg
    352.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 353.jpg
    353.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 354.jpg
    354.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 355.jpg
    355.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 356.jpg
    356.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 103
  • 358.jpg
    358.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 361.jpg
    361.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 363.jpg
    363.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 364.jpg
    364.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 370.jpg
    370.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 375.jpg
    375.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 376.jpg
    376.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 376.jpg
    376.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 381.jpg
    381.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 97
if they don`t seem to be doing any damage i would let them be for now. you don`t want to loose the good bugs if you can help it. 

we just had a japanese beetle infestation and they seemed to go after the sunflowers we have growing. they were on the tomatoes also but not as bad. we kept picking them off and throwing them in a cup of soapy water to kill them. we cleared them out in two days. i hope yours turn out harmless.

It is definitely a true bug, order Hemiptera.

As such, they have a tube type mouth for
piercing and sucking plant juices. Eventually
they will want to suck on your plants. 

Get rid of them. If not too many, hose 'em
off, or hit your plants with some NEEM in
the evening.

Fortunately, their bright orange color makes
them easy to spot soon after they hatch and
are hanging out in a little group. Your pics look
like nymphs in stage 2 of development.

PaulG said:
It is definitely a true bug, order Hemiptera.

As such, they have a tube type mouth for
piercing and sucking plant juices. Eventually
they will want to suck on your plants. 

Get rid of them. If not too many, hose 'em
off, or hit your plants with some NEEM in
the evening.

Fortunately, their bright orange color makes
them easy to spot soon after they hatch and
are hanging out in a little group. Your pics look
like nymphs in stage 2 of development.
That's what threw me, Paul............the orange color. The nymphs around here MIGHT have some orange/copper spots on their backs, but the kind we get here are Black and White-Silver-Grey.
zmFavkP.jpg

Can't find them, BUT what I did find was a few preying mantis, some daddy long legs and what I am pretty sure is an assassin bug. On top of I don't know what kind of hunting fly, but I see what appears to be some kind of fly going around hunting. I'm pretty sure I got a lot of hunters in my pepper garden right now. 

darkchile said:
Can't find them, BUT what I did find was a few preying mantis, some daddy long legs and what I am pretty sure is an assassin bug. On top of I don't know what kind of hunting fly, but I see what appears to be some kind of fly going around hunting. I'm pretty sure I got a lot of hunters in my pepper garden right now.
A lot of good guys, there!
Maybe you're seeing parasitic wasps hunting for something. Those are SUPER handy if you have a HornWorm problem.

Bhuter said:
A lot of good guys, there!
Maybe you're seeing parasitic wasps hunting for something. Those are SUPER handy if you have a HornWorm problem.

The thought did come to mind, they looked like a cross between a small yellow jacket wasp & a fly with the greenish looking color tone to it.

I almost need to be an entomologist with all the bug learning i'm getting in this year.

Definitely not a ladybug, it's most likely a stink bug nymph. Note that some stink bug species are predatory insects, most notably within the Podisus genus. Rough stink bugs, for example, will eat both plants (mostly leaves) and other insects. Most predatory stink bugs are general predators that usually prey on grubs and the larvae of various beetles and moths, where some will feed on plant sap as well.

Back