• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Small distored new leaves

Hi guys, two of my pepper plants have this happening to them on the upper branches and the new growth. I cant find any evidence of things like aphids or bugs like that. What else can I check for?

distorted.jpg

Thanks RichardK, I had added about a teaspoon of bone meal about 2-3 weeks ago but maybe thats too little for the 5 gallon container? I had just sprinkled it on top of the soil. I dont even know if that would be a good source of calcium or if its a very slow release....

A lack of Calcium can cause distorted new growth.

Thanks RichardK, I had added about a teaspoon of bone meal about 2-3 weeks ago but maybe thats too little for the 5 gallon container? I had just sprinkled it on top of the soil. I dont even know if that would be a good source of calcium or if its a very slow release....
Bone meal is a good source of calcium, but I think you used too little. A couple of tablespoons would have been better. Use a small garden claw to work it into the top of the soil and then water it in. As mentioned many times in other threads; if the soil ph is too high (alkaline), then your plant won't be able to utilize the calcium. If you can, check it. An easy remedy is 2 tbsp. vinegar/gallon water. Cheers.

i've had this problem a few years back especially with the chininses in hot weather. a little dolomitic lyme usually fixes it but since you've added bone meal you might want to wait a little bit before adding it. it has to be dolomite lyme not any other kind or you'll burn the H outa your plants. if you add the bone meal and a little blood meal and alternate it with the dolomite lime every 3 or 4 weeks you should never have that problem again. just make sure you add fresh soil on top of it so it cant form a crust on top. when that happens it's a disaster. hope the problem clears up.

Hmmm it has been fairly hot here lately. Well as hot as it will get in Toronto. I guess high 20's and low 30's (celcius) is not very hot for pepper plants but feels pretty damn hot for me :) I'll watch the plant for another couple weeks and see how things go. If it doesnt change, I'll add a little of the dolomitic lyme.

i've had this problem a few years back especially with the chininses in hot weather. a little dolomitic lyme usually fixes it but since you've added bone meal you might want to wait a little bit before adding it. it has to be dolomite lyme not any other kind or you'll burn the H outa your plants. if you add the bone meal and a little blood meal and alternate it with the dolomite lime every 3 or 4 weeks you should never have that problem again. just make sure you add fresh soil on top of it so it cant form a crust on top. when that happens it's a disaster. hope the problem clears up.

AjarnV is right on, check the pH to make sure it's not too high (> 6.9) then apply more bone meal or dolomite with vinegar (if needed).

I think I'll stop off at a garden center and get some kind of test kit for the PH. I have one of those soil moisture meters that has a PH option but it doesnt work. I'll take AjarnV's advice and get that checked out before I do anything else :)

AjarnV is right on, check the pH to make sure it's not too high (> 6.9) then apply more bone meal or dolomite with vinegar (if needed).

I think I'll stop off at a garden center and get some kind of test kit for the PH. I have one of those soil moisture meters that has a PH option but it doesnt work. I'll take AjarnV's advice and get that checked out before I do anything else :)

There are a couple of options for you; #1 would be your local extension service which could check your soil. #2 would be to get some litmus paper and take a half a cup of your soil and put it in a glass container; then add 1 cup of distilled (ph neutral @ 7) water and mix thoroughly and let it sit for 1 hour. Pour through a fine screen to get the bulk of the solid matter out and then wet the litmus strip and check against the color chart. Easy and cheap and it will put you in the ball park of what your soil ph is actually. cheers.

Back