• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

small Jalapeno problem....

Hi,

For the past few years I have had a small salsa garden with about a dozen jalapenos. for a few years they have always grown about 5-6" long which I find the perfect size to stuff. However last year they only grew to about 1/3 to 1/2 that size. Fluke?.....or is there something I have done to the bed that needs remedied?

garp

If you've been replanting the same type plants in the same area of bed, you probibly should get your soil analized. Your local extension office can head you in the right direction.

+1 for WGB
I had that problem several years ago. The soil probably is low on needed nuits if your not putting them back in the same place. Also, be careful planting in the same place all the time unless you know the soil is good and disease free. Peppers and tomatoes growing in the same area year after year can cause issues even between each other.

+1 for WGB
I had that problem several years ago. The soil probably is low on needed nuits if your not putting them back in the same place. Also, be careful planting in the same place all the time unless you know the soil is good and disease free. Peppers and tomatoes growing in the same area year after year can cause issues even between each other.

Same issues here, I had to supplement the nutrients back into the soil. Save the planet... it's the only one with peppers.

Do you fertilize your garden soil?

If so what do you use?

Last season I added 25^3 yards of cow manure to roughly 3k^2 ft growing area and will probable expand another 1k^2 ft which I will have to ante up some more on the manure. You have to put back in what you suck out!

BTW, those were huge pods!

Good luck!

What variety Jalapeno you grow that gets 5-6"? That's huge!
Nothing special, just the seedlings from the local nursery.. They were always huge, couldnt even begin to fit them in the pepper holder for my BBQ. I'd stuff them with two little smokies and cheese.

I had used chicken manure fertilizer 3-4 years ago when I had chickens, but I hadnt used any for at least two years prior to the small batch. There's a horse rental stable near me I bet I could get some 5 gallon buckets of horse manure free if I wanted it.

you sure they were Jalapeno's? Maybe your nursery changed types of Jalapenos or someone had switched your tags in yrs past?

There's a horse rental stable near me I bet I could get some 5 gallon buckets of horse manure free if I wanted it.

Be careful. You want to be sure the manure has been composed (or aged) for several months before adding it to your garden. Otherwise, you'll burn your plants up.

You might want to just buy a bag or two of compost (like Black Kow), if your garden is on the small side.

Nothing special, just the seedlings from the local nursery.. They were always huge, couldnt even begin to fit them in the pepper holder for my BBQ. I'd stuff them with two little smokies and cheese.

My uncle mixes up a crab and cream cheese filling and smokes them on a pepper holder. He's in competition BBQ, I love going to his events just to eat the smoked Jalapenos.

Garp,
You might have unlocked a great growing trick and now it is lost with the chicken manure you once had. Or you might ask the place you bought your plants if they were giant jalapenos variety during those years or something like that. Consistent 4-inch would be fantastic for regular old garden variety jalapenos, IMO, but 5-6 inch would be amazing.

But I'm with you on the smoked stuffed jalapeno pepper gig. I've got some "Jalmundo" variety growing now-- I hope some will hit 4 or 5 inches. Hmmmm, Hmmmm, Hmmmm.... :cool:

you sure they were Jalapeno's? Maybe your nursery changed types of Jalapenos or someone had switched your tags in yrs past?
I went down there with the little plastic tags that came with them, they said they were the asme ones they had been growing for years, no other complaints, so I guess I will just dig up some chicken poop.

Back