Small / Pea Size Peppers

Besides My wild chiltepin cross which throws out pods from 1/8" to 1 1/2 inch pods all the rest are wild species such as eximiums, chacoense, galapagoense, lanceolatum, praetermissums, Tovarii and so on, I'm still looking for some flexuosum seeds and any other wild species, I started out eating the wild Arizona chiltepin from southern Arizona many, many years ago and branched out from there.
I love the taste that the wild ones have and many have a nice burn even though it doesn't last long, just right for a bowl of beans, hocks and corn bread. Yum I may just fix some.
I will be getting some rocopica seeds from a member here many thanks to him they are a little bigger than some rocopica but are just the right size for making a nice wild hot sauce with.

Cappuccino Tepins - hunted down by Chris Phillips and seeds are from wild collected pods (there`s red and yellow too, from the same source). For those of you on Facebook it`s from "Chiltepines de la Sierra" in Mexico.

I`ll avoid the wilds and those mentioned so far, although I agree with all of them. 

OK AJ, how many do you want? :dance:

CAP 691 - small red C.chinense
CGN 23255 - small red C.chinense. I`ve seen as many as 15 flowers per node
Cereja da Amapa - small red C.chinense
CGN 23257 - small peach C.chinense
CGN 22838 - small yellow C.chinense
CGN 22163 - small orange C.chinense
Quintisho - small yellow C.chinese
Uvilla Grande (PI 281303) - smallish red C.chinense
Olho de Piexe - small yellow C.chinense

Charapita has been mentioned and usually comes in yellow, but there is a rare red version and Chris Phillips got a Peach version from seeds he got direct from Peru last year. Those are in the Chris Phillips rare seed collection at Puckerbutt

Ecuadorian Orange - small orange C.baccatum
PI 159252 - very small red C.baccatum
Trepadeira de Werner - small red C.baccatum - great colour change from white to yellow to orange to red

Donne Sali - Wonderful C.frutescens from Guam

enough???  :rolleyes:

Well, i had "capsicum chacoense" this year, and its the most beautiful chili i seen so far. It grows like a tree with hundreds of small upright pods.

I liked the taste and the heat, but the seeds destroy the taste, and make it bitter. They are like 80-90 % seeds and 10-20 % flesh,..

Are tepin and donni sali that bitter too?

I have to agree with Nigel, I also liked "trepadeira do werner" alot. Very fruity taste with a lot of acid (but in a positive way).

As a chinense fan i have to point out "peito de moca". Sooo god. Very clean chinense taste and mid heat. perfect on a bread.

Nigel, trying to decide what to grow for packing peanuts.  Been selling pounds to value added business a bit, but favorite sales are SFRB to individuals.  Want to fill the cracks between what they order with small colorful nuggets.  Probably many different colors so I could create contrast.  I am starting to sound like an interior decorator. 

Willard, thank you.  The yellow bird chili looks perfect and helps to fill my other planning for 2016.  There is a strip by the road that needs color.  Last year, grew multi colors of ghost.  Thing is, the colors of the peppers did not show threw the leaves much.  Looks like bird chili is erect and shows more color even though it is small.

ajdrew said:
Nigel, trying to decide what to grow for packing peanuts.  Been selling pounds to value added business a bit, but favorite sales are SFRB to individuals.  Want to fill the cracks between what they order with small colorful nuggets.  Probably many different colors so I could create contrast.  I am starting to sound like an interior decorator.

Just keep in mind that it will take a LOT of those tiny peppers to fill the spaces in a SFRB. And they are a PITA to pick. Something like a white bullet hab or a Caribbean red might be about the right size, though.

Zackorz said:
Well, i had "capsicum chacoense" this year, and its the most beautiful chili i seen so far. It grows like a tree with hundreds of small upright pods.

I liked the taste and the heat, but the seeds destroy the taste, and make it bitter. They are like 80-90 % seeds and 10-20 % flesh,..

Are tepin and donni sali that bitter too?

C.chacoense are a pain to eat, because of the seeds. Not easy to de-seed either, as they aren`t really worth the effort. Tepins and Donne Sali are nowhere near as bitter, to me anyway. Donne Sali are extremely fruity and the flesh is very soft; surprisingly hot, as well. Wonderful variety.

Nigel, my kids want to get paid to work the gardens.  Harvesting is not a problem with an evil father like me.  Thank you for the suggestions.

ajdrew said:
  Harvesting is not a problem with an evil father like me. 

I think salsalady has a whip around here somewhere. She might let you borrow it if your kids need a little "motivating".  :twisted:

willard3 said:
Tepins are all nice and so is the yellow bird chile

Yellow bird:

Interesting ...

Looks like another possibility for my Mystery Citrus ...

Now folks growing it can compare against aji charapita and yellow bird ...

Nigel said:

C.chacoense are a pain to eat, because of the seeds. Not easy to de-seed either, as they aren`t really worth the effort. Tepins and Donne Sali are nowhere near as bitter, to me anyway. Donne Sali are extremely fruity and the flesh is very soft; surprisingly hot, as well. Wonderful variety.

Thank you for the info :-). I always need some small and hot peppers, because they are the best preparation for not getting a cold. If i feel that i may get a cold, i just eat 1-2 small, hot ones and enjoy the burn. 

Never had a cold since i started doing that.

But as you said, Chacoense is a pain to eat :-/

Im excited about the "donni sali" and hope it has a faster and better germination than a "tepin".

Back