• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Small plant but huge roots...

Hi guys, I've got a couple habs which are only 1 foot tall and just barely flowering - they are in a 3 gallon container. They have been growing real slow so I thought maybe the soil was no good so I took one out of its container and saw that it had massive roots. Why would a little plant only a foot tall need that much roots. Does that imply that it has the ability to grow bigger if it was in a larger container? I'm thinking of putting it in a 5 gallon and adding some different soil....

I would repot those plants into a larger container if I saw roots like you describe.

Do you have any photos of the plants?

I repotted one so far. Here is another. They are more like 14" tall. The pot they are in is 12" tall and about an inch of it is not visible in the photo because its in the mulch.

7.jpg

I would repot those plants into a larger container if I saw roots like you describe.

Do you have any photos of the plants?

Plants produce hormones, which controls which stage it's in,ie, root growth, vegetative stage, flower production, fruit/seed production, etc. Your plant is producing flowers. If you transplant it into a bigger container, you MAY confuse it. It MIGHT switch off of flowering mode, and return to root/vegetative mode. I would leave it be. Remember you are in Ontario, and can expect smaller plants and yields. Just be happy with what you have. You can overwinter it, and will have greater results next year.

I don't believe chiles really go into grow and flower stages, they continue to grow as they flower and fruit.
I think the plant in the pic looks good, its just developing a strong root sytem to support itself so pot them up and wait patiently

Thanks Patowie. I'll go ahead and put them up to the 5 gallon containers. If I plan to overwinter plants, is there any point to putting a single plant in a container larger than 5 gallon you think? I've got a red hab and an Aji cristal which are quite big. They are in 5 gallon containers so I'm thinking about putting them in larger containers. I do have these blue 20 gallon containers from Home depot which I used to use when I had to clean my fish tanks (I'd put the fish and plants in them). I have 2 or 3 of them. They are blue and have rope handles. I'm sure you've seen them before :) Anyway is that way overkill or will the plants grow into the container and get even larger than they would in a 5 gallon?

Back