• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Smart pot question

Hello,

I was trying to plan out my pepper garden for this season and had seen someone post the smart pots on clearance. So my question was would it be better to plant in multiple 5 gal pots or just buy a few 100 gal pots and but many plants in there. As for room I have lot of space so that is not a factor. I was leaning toward the 100 gal because after reading someone else's post they said that they had bigger plants when they did a larger pot with multiple plants rather than the small pots.

why not do 10 10 gallon? you can get "root pouches" same as smart pots with handles.

I agree. Even a 10 gallon container is a bear to move around even with a hand truck,
at least for me. A container that is over 10 gallons is a pretty permanent fixture in my small yard!

A 100 gallon container is about 15+ cubic feet of dry volume (6.43 gals per cu. ft., I believe).
At that weight I wonder if a raised bed 3'x5' and 12" tall wouldn't be an alternative. On the
other hand, I love container gardening!

So no real benefit to the larger container? I guess my next question would be would it be better to have 1 plant in a 5 gal pot or multiple plants in a 7 or 10 gal pot? I haven't done any container gardening so bare with me =).

I would either build a raised bed Luke Paul said, or if your going 5 or 7 or even 10 gallon pots you will want 1 plant per pot for the best results. Mote plants and they fight for root space.

Bigger pots=bigger plants ... up to a point. Bigger pots have more thermal mass and thus stay cooler and warmer when you want them to. Bigger pots can require more water but have to be watered less often. I think the water/size relationship may have multiple critical points so it can go up and down.

Smaller pots really, in my mind only have two advantages.
1. they are smaller. So they are easy to move and you can more of them in specific area.
2. You are fertilizing and watering your plant not the ground.

I used some smartpots last year and liked em.plants were slow growing in the beginning and i was doubting them.
But after some time and patience they exploded with growth,!.i will be using them again and prolly buyin more to
try growing tomatoes in.i used 5 and 7gal.i believe

Back