• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

smart pots vs. buckets

i have some plants in 5 gal smart pots and some in 5 gal buckets.
same varieties and planted on the same day and the plants in the buckets are growin much faster and look way healthier than the plants in the smart pots.pictures to come soon.
I have used the same water,feeding schedule with all the plants,nothing different.
i was curious to see if some other folks have noticed the same thing and any thoughts about why this is?

I don't know. I've never used smart pots, but maybe the soil temp is higher in the regular pots?
I read somewhere that these modern burlap sacks abuse the roots if you move them around too much (the bag flexing and squeezing them).

Smart pots are usually black so i can see them soaking in a lot of heat too.

Could be both reasons maybe?

I'm with muskymojo with this one in that I've never used smart pots, so I'm obviously ill-equipped to give you an informed answer here, but I will say unless someone can give a compelling answer to your problem, or demonstrate how it's uncommon, you've basically persuaded me not to try smart pots now.

sorry about that alchemy.
my intent is not to steer anyone away but just to find out if this is common with these smart pots.
they still could very well explode with growth.dont know
just curious

Smart pots are usually black so i can see them soaking in a lot of heat too.

I was thinking that the buckets would retain more heat therefore plants grow faster. Of course too much heat is a bad thing.

I would also guess the smart pots would be drier if the watering is the same as the buckets.

I was thinking that the buckets would retain more heat therefore plants grow faster. Of course too much heat is a bad thing.

I would also guess the smart pots would be drier if the watering is the same as the buckets.
actually i water the buckets slightly more cause the smart pots seem to retain some water a bit.
prolly cause the bucket plants are bigger tho.

i have some plants in 5 gal smart pots and some in 5 gal buckets.
same varieties and planted on the same day and the plants in the buckets are growin much faster and look way healthier than the plants in the smart pots.pictures to come soon.
I have used the same water,feeding schedule with all the plants,nothing different.
i was curious to see if some other folks have noticed the same thing and any thoughts about why this is?
I doubt it will stay like this for long. Those air pruning pots are gonna make you forget plastic. :)

I doubt it will stay like this for long. Those air pruning pots are gonna make you forget plastic.
icon_smile.gif
Hopefully, he's easily at mid-season in Michigan at this point.

Back