• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Smart Pots vs. Terra Cotta Pots

After spending a small fortune on Smart Pots for this year's grow, I suddenly wondered to my self would terra cotta pots provided the same benefits (e.g., air circulation around roots, air pruning, etc.)? Any one try growing hot peppers in Terra Cotta pots?

Terra cotta doesn't air prune, but it does have other beneficial properties. Compared to a plastic pot, terra cotta has better moisture and temperature control. Plus, it just looks better. They do break if you drop them so...don't drop them.

Like PMD noted, fabric bags are available elsewhere for much less than Smartpots. I have some I'm using from greenhousemegastore, and you can also use the reusable fabric shopping bags from Walmart, Dollar General etc. Dollar General bags are only $1 each, and hold roughly 7 gallons of potting mix.

MeatHead1313 said:
Like PMD noted, fabric bags are available elsewhere for much less than Smartpots. I have some I'm using from greenhousemegastore, and you can also use the reusable fabric shopping bags from Walmart, Dollar General etc. Dollar General bags are only $1 each, and hold roughly 7 gallons of potting mix.
Those greenhousemegastore ones don't have handles if I remember correct, right? That's a big plus for me since I seem to move them some.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Those greenhousemegastore ones don't have handles if I remember correct, right? That's a big plus for me since I seem to move them some.
5 gallon and up do have handles. Under 5 gallons have no handles. 

Back