• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation smoked hab.

i just got one of these from a friend of mine.
Picture385.jpg

i will be eating it on camera later in the week but i was just wondering which way to eat it. in its original dried state or to rehidrate it somehow?

To get the true essence eat it just like that. You could also rehydrate it in adobo sauce or sesame oil.

sesame oil? im not realy fond of the flavor of it. kinda burnt tasteing. would just regular canola oil do? since it wont muck with the flavor as much as sesame would.

Just use water ;)
Though you will lose some heat.

wouldent it keep more heat than oil since capsacin is oil soluble and dosent like watter? or would the capcacin escape into the water and just float there?

Cut it in half, do both, report back LOL.

That will be a cool experiment. Also taste the oil and the water to see which is hotter.

i will and everything will be eather picture or video documented.
hab cut in half.
Picture386.jpg

from left to right. oil and watter.
Picture387.jpg

ok after like a day this is what is happpening to the two test subjects.
Picture388.jpg

same as the other picture oil is on the left and watter is on the right.

ok observations oil seems to have expanded but none of the color has come out into the oil where as the watter looks hydrated and it has infused the watter into a brownish almoast tea looking color and the peper looks much softer.

next part of the experement and last part will be done tomorow. the actual eating of the peper and tasteing of the hydrant.

I'm guessing the color change in the water vs oil also means that more of the heat was lost to water than oil too. Keep us posted. Cool experiment.

I believe my theory is winning! LOL
We shall see! Keep it up.

I am pretty sure that to get the oils from the pepper to integrate the oil that he is soaking it in, you would need heat. That's how you make infused oils as far as I know.

ok rules for test.
open jar. shake exess fluid off. eat note 5min of effects. come back 20 min later with rest of results then do the same for the next subject. note results and compare fluid heats.

JayT said:
I am pretty sure that to get the oils from the pepper to integrate the oil that he is soaking it in, you would need heat. That's how you make infused oils as far as I know.
Exactly. At room temp you're rehydrating only.

hmm the thing is i tried on of the seeds that fell out when i cut it and it had hardly any heat at all. just a small tingle. will have to see.

I don't believe capsaisin is water soluble so there should be no heat in the water. Maybe the oil will have heat but I too assume some heat is needed.
I usually rehydrate smoked peppers in liquids that I will be using them in like vinegar or lemon/lime juice, but for just taste testing, I think water would work best.

Back