smokers Smoker Conversion

O M G !!! Why ?

Personally there is nothing better than charcoal IMO I refuse to cook with gas. Smoking butts, briskets or spares take way to long of a cook to do with gas - Id have to get a new tank each time or keep a spare if I should run out -- :beer:

O M G !!! Why ?

Personally there is nothing better than charcoal IMO I refuse to cook with gas. Smoking butts, briskets or spares take way to long of a cook to do with gas - Id have to get a new tank each time or keep a spare if I should run out -- :beer:
I'm smoking a brisket for Sunday, I'll let you know how it turned out, It's a 6 and a half pound Brisket I'll let you know how long it took and at what Temperature. I found a 19,000 BTU Burner that they use for Paella (Spanish Gumbo). I will also post pics.

Charcoal does have a flavor that is liked by many folks. For grilling, it is very practical to use. If you're using gas to smoke foods, then i would suggest using a combination of lump for a base, and hardwood and/or fruit wood chunks for the actual smoke flavor. Lump does not present the problem of excess ash, which can choke out a burn. Lump burns much better than charcoal with 1/10th the ash residue. If you're using gas to grill foods, then I would suggest using a foil pouch with wood chips near the burner in order to give more flavor to the foods. In any manner, you don't want rolling clouds of smoke, as this can create creosote which is a health hazard. Just a little smoke, even if you can't see it, just smell it, you're ok. It's all good my friend.

I'm smoking a brisket for Sunday, I'll let you know how it turned out, It's a 6 and a half pound Brisket I'll let you know how long it took and at what Temperature. I found a 19,000 BTU Burner that they use for Paella (Spanish Gumbo). I will also post pics.
Brisket time is figured at about 1.5 hours per pound -- 6 x 1.5 = 9hrs - its at these times when I began migration to Charcoal v2.5 - especially since Im about "cooked" the same time the meats are and never mind finding out I left the gas on the next time I want to make a couple of burgers :lol:

Good luck hope it comes out awesome

Do allow for the stall or plateau period of your cooking that brisket. If you haven't smoked a brisket before, here's the explanation of why/how the inernal temp can stall.

Simply put, this is the point in time where the majority of heat energy from the burning charcoal/gas or other heat source, is going into the breaking down of fats and connective tissue in the meat. When this happens the internal temperature as read on the remote thermometer will stall for a period of up to several hours depending on the size of the meat being cooked. When the majority of the fats and tissues have been rendered, the meat will resume its climb in internal temperature, and when desired final temp is reached, it can be removed from the smoker.

Do let us know what was your choice of wood, and how or if you used a water pan. I'll be looking forward to the pics of your Q, and how you smoked the brisket. It's all good my friend.

I find that my "stall" temp is typically 170 -180F when this occurs I wrap in some foil with a little mop till it breakes this plateau about 190F I'll take it off, unfoil saving the juices and put back on till about 200 - then let it rest till cool but not cold -

Do allow for the stall or plateau period of your cooking that brisket. If you haven't smoked a brisket before, here's the explanation of why/how the inernal temp can stall.

Simply put, this is the point in time where the majority of heat energy from the burning charcoal/gas or other heat source, is going into the breaking down of fats and connective tissue in the meat. When this happens the internal temperature as read on the remote thermometer will stall for a period of up to several hours depending on the size of the meat being cooked. When the majority of the fats and tissues have been rendered, the meat will resume its climb in internal temperature, and when desired final temp is reached, it can be removed from the smoker.

Do let us know what was your choice of wood, and how or if you used a water pan. I'll be looking forward to the pics of your Q, and how you smoked the brisket. It's all good my friend.
How exactly do you allow for a stall plateau? I have smoked 3 briskets last year but have preferred pork shoulders. I have heard if a brisket is done right it can taste as good or better than steak, any suggestions are welcome.

How exactly do you allow for a stall plateau? I have smoked 3 briskets last year but have preferred pork shoulders. I have heard if a brisket is done right it can taste as good or better than steak, any suggestions are welcome.

As far as allowing for a stall is concerned, start earlier, it'll work out in the end. Don't expect it to be done using the 1 5 hrs. per pound. Give yourself some extra time. If it finishes sooner than expected, you'll probably want to foil it in some of it's own juices and let it rest for a few hours or more in a cooler. Resting in the cooler, you can serve it hours later and it still will be hot or warm, depending on how you foil/wrap it.
You're right about a brisket that is done right, whether you slice it, or pull it. If you're going to slice it, make sure you slice it across the grain for a more tender slice.Do let us know how it came out, here's wishing you some tasty Q, It's all good my friend.

1.5 is about right the part that throws it off is the stall (thats why I like charcoal) Do you have a digital meat thermometer? This will help you greatly in seeing the stall - or simply go low and slow for ~ 9hrs

1.5 is about right the part that throws it off is the stall (thats why I like charcoal) Do you have a digital meat thermometer? This will help you greatly in seeing the stall - or simply go low and slow for ~ 9hrs
yes we have a digital thermometer as well as 2 more on the can and another useless original one that came with it I have a COS (Cheap Offset Smoker).

It took 6 hours at 225-250 F, 3 kilos (6.6 Lbs) of brisket, will post pics on Monday. used 1/3 of 13.3 Kilo (11 Kilo fluid) bottle of butane. I used Beech for smoke as Hickory and Mesquite are extremely expensive and hard to get in Germany. I took it off the grill at 176 °F in the center of the meat.

It took 6 hours at 225-250 F, 3 kilos (6.6 Lbs) of brisket, will post pics on Monday. used 1/3 of 13.3 Kilo (11 Kilo fluid) bottle of butane. I used Beech for smoke as Hickory and Mesquite are extremely expensive and hard to get in Germany. I took it off the grill at 176 °F in the center of the meat.

Just wondering -- Why did you take it off at 176?

Just wondering -- Why did you take it off at 176?
The center of beef should reach at minimum 150 Fahrenheit / 66 Celsius, which is considered rare. Medium/Medium-rare is 160 Fahrenheit, and borderline Medium-Well/Well-Done is 170 Fahrenheit. 176 was the lowest I read some parts were as high as 180 and 182. And it was done. The only pink was the smoke ring. It wasn't tough, it was juicy and melted in my mouth.

well at least you liked it and didnt end with a piece of show leather :)

It typically isnt cooked like you would a steak ideally for it to be tender, a brisket must be cooked to an internal temperature of 180-205°. The reason for this is that the conversion of collagen to gelatin doesn't even begin until meat reaches an internal temperature of 140°F, and is most efficient as internal temps approach 212°F. "Low and slow" barbecuing at 225-250°F is ideal to facilitate this conversion, providing gentle heat over many hours, allowing the collagen to make its transition into gelatin. While some moisture will be driven out of the brisket as it reaches these high internal temps, the gelatin makes up for it and keeps the meat moist. Of course, the fat layer on the brisket also helps maintain moisture in the meat during cooking, as well.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

well at least you liked it and didnt end with a piece of show leather :)

It typically isnt cooked like you would a steak ideally for it to be tender, a brisket must be cooked to an internal temperature of 180-205°. The reason for this is that the conversion of collagen to gelatin doesn't even begin until meat reaches an internal temperature of 140°F, and is most efficient as internal temps approach 212°F. "Low and slow" barbecuing at 225-250°F is ideal to facilitate this conversion, providing gentle heat over many hours, allowing the collagen to make its transition into gelatin. While some moisture will be driven out of the brisket as it reaches these high internal temps, the gelatin makes up for it and keeps the meat moist. Of course, the fat layer on the brisket also helps maintain moisture in the meat during cooking, as well.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html
cool thanks next time I'll try it

Yeah brisket is a muscle you definitely don't want to treat it like a steak. Follow LUCKY's advice and post pics next time! We demand pics ;)

Back