smokers smoker for chipotles?

I want to smoke a lot of chiles this year and want to know what type of smoker is best. Ideally I'd like to build an outdoor smoker or an outdoor oven/smoker like the one on www.fatalli.net http://www.juuri.org/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=55
For now I'm considering a cheap double-barrel smoker since it sees to be a good way to slow smoke. Most other inexpensive models have charcoal or electric heaters which burn wood chips. (trash can smoker) It would seem to me that with these units it would be more difficult to control the heat since heat naturally rises and some require you to open and remove everything to add more charcoal/wood. With the double-barrel, you don't have to disturb food or temperature when refueling. Up here in Canada, good smokers are hard to find. Most people only smoke fish and sausage and that's pretty rare. To get a good smoker, I think I'd have to order from Southern States and that equals a lot of shipping dollars. I looked into The Big Green Egg (where's the ham), and it looks awesome and is available locally but comes with a heafty pricetag

Anybody have any comments on making chipotles? I've heard hickory and pecan are good woods to smoke chipotles with, and mesquite is awful (but somewhat traditional). I live in a maple forest and was wondering how maple smoked chipotles would taste. Its supposed to be "a mild smoke good for fish and vegetables"

POTAWIE said:
I want to smoke a lot of chiles this year and want to know what type of smoker is best. Ideally I'd like to build an outdoor smoker or an outdoor oven/smoker like the one on www.fatalli.net http://www.juuri.org/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=55
For now I'm considering a cheap double-barrel smoker since it sees to be a good way to slow smoke. Most other inexpensive models have charcoal or electric heaters which burn wood chips. (trash can smoker) It would seem to me that with these units it would be more difficult to control the heat since heat naturally rises and some require you to open and remove everything to add more charcoal/wood. With the double-barrel, you don't have to disturb food or temperature when refueling. Up here in Canada, good smokers are hard to find. Most people only smoke fish and sausage and that's pretty rare. To get a good smoker, I think I'd have to order from Southern States and that equals a lot of shipping dollars. I looked into The Big Green Egg (where's the ham), and it looks awesome and is available locally but comes with a heafty pricetag

Anybody have any comments on making chipotles? I've heard hickory and pecan are good woods to smoke chipotles with, and mesquite is awful (but somewhat traditional). I live in a maple forest and was wondering how maple smoked chipotles would taste. Its supposed to be "a mild smoke good for fish and vegetables"

Save yourself some money, Potawie, bring us your peppers, we'll smoke them for you.

Just another service we're able to offer our customers. :)

T

I saw some incredibly expensive smoked roma tomatos. If you get your smoker, run a test a let me know what you think.

thehotpepper.com said:
Smoke some cheese too!

If I ever have a rock band, that is going to be our first album...

Now playing their smash number one hit from their new album "smoke some cheese too" is Carl and the hottones!!

I'd like to smoke all kinds of vegetables, fish, meats and cheese and maybe even nuts. I'm thinking of making a chili out of all smoked ingredients to see how it would taste. Tina, I'd like to know more about your chile smoking and other services provided. Can you smoke any chile? Which ones are best?

I just use my brinkmann vertical smoker. nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Less than $200 too. I don't use the smoker to dry the pepper either. I leave them in long enough to get that nice smokey flavor (couple hours) then off to the dehydrator they go for finishing.

P_Schneider said:
Have you done this? If so how exactly do you do it? It really sounds like it would be good and I have never tried it.

Nope. Eaten lots! Smoked none. I believe it has to be cold-smoked.

POTAWIE said:
I'd like to smoke all kinds of vegetables, fish, meats and cheese and maybe even nuts. I'm thinking of making a chili out of all smoked ingredients to see how it would taste. Tina, I'd like to know more about your chile smoking and other services provided. Can you smoke any chile? Which ones are best?

From what I've been able to tell, thich skinned chilis are best, but really, any chili can be smoked.

The trick is not letting them slip around while you're rolling them up in the little papers. :twisted:

Okay... bad joke... Seriously, I don't think there is a chili that can't be smoked.

We don't do cheese or meat, though.

Are you coming for the BBQ friday night?

T

Don't think I can make the bbq, hopefully I'll be watching an Oilers victory! Would they have the game on there? Hot food and hockey, sounds like a winning combination.

POTAWIE said:
Don't think I can make the bbq, hopefully I'll be watching an Oilers victory! Would they have the game on there? Hot food and hockey, sounds like a winning combination.

Would they have the game on??? I'm within a 45 minute drive of the heart of hockey country... Of course they will have the game on. I expect that the place will be jumping, even if the BBQ were to get rained out again.

And I just won't even comment on Lord Stanley's cup... I'm from Montreal, we have two teams here... the Canadiens and whoever is playing Toronto.

T

make whatever weekend plans you want.....canes will take the cup on the ice tonight.
ive got the stanley cup scheduled to appear at greasy corner next week.
should be a hoot.

bubbaschili said:
make whatever weekend plans you want.....canes will take the cup on the ice tonight.
ive got the stanley cup scheduled to appear at greasy corner next week.
should be a hoot.

You missed the bit about "I'm from Montreal"... Around these parts, when the Canadiens are out, there's nothing left to do but to cheer for whoever is up against Toronto, assuming they're still in. Once they're out... We play golf.

T

Looks like cbc wants the next game on Saturday, which means the cup should come home to Canada Monday night or Tuesday morning. Sorry Bubba, can't let you have the cup without a fight. Oilers in seven

Back