smokers Smoker for the poor student...

Well to further on that Home Hardware is about 70.00 more..Not to go off topic too much it shows how these monster sized retail chains are slowly killing off canadian chains..They just cant compete in price range.I dont like shopping at wal-mart but id be stupid not to save 70-100 dollars on an item...

It is a shame Canuck, but I'll save it for another thread!

I want to say again that I now smoke in my gas grill. With the gas off ans smouldering coals on one side, meat on the other it works just fine!

Canuk Pepperhead said:
Well to further on that Home Hardware is about 70.00 more..Not to go off topic too much it shows how these monster sized retail chains are slowly killing off canadian chains..They just cant compete in price range.I dont like shopping at wal-mart but id be stupid not to save 70-100 dollars on an item...

There may be some differences. The one I see at Canadian Tire looks to be better than the one I bought a few years back at homehardware. I think its a different type of paint or steel. The paint is now peeling off in mine.
Also we don't have smokers or even wood chips at my nearest Walmart.

I have a cover but don't use it much but its generally kept out of the rain. No rust or problems yet, just paint flaking.

every bbq ive owned Ive re-painted a few times... to me it comes with the game..on the other hand my dad keeps his bbq in his garadge and its still like new(mind you he barely uses it)as where I use mine almost every day..Storage and elements especially with the climates we have,have to do with paint coming off the bbq/smokers we own..I just spend 6 bucks on a can of high heat black pressure wash the bbq and shoot
This year im tremcladding the frame too..(I have done in the past on other bbqs)no use in buying a new propane bbq if im getting a bbq/smoker I just put in a cast element this year.I had a cover it would help but only to a point..so why bother..Painting the bbq is like spring cleaning around here lol

like I said before, I bought a 7 in 1 smoker/grill just normal painted steel not stainless steel. I have noticed that my cheap steel bullet smoker/grill did rust & paint chip in short time BUT also the pans started to rust alot more & I'm finding this to be true to my 7 in 1 I bought about 5+ years ago the insides are rusting more than the outside.

I think I might found the reason why, but remember its kinda hearsay but not by much either by looking at some other information. well I'm doing some searching about outdoor wood burning furnaces & I'm hearing ashes are corrosive to steel, which would explain why my bowls are rusting away inside. plus outdoor wood burning furnaces have some special kind of stainless steel inside or bricks at the bottom inside.

now I really wished I spent the little extra money to buy a stainless steel 7 in 1 model vs the normal steel model :(
I think when I buy my next smoker/grill it WILL be a stainless steel model so I dont need to worry about it rusting away or ever needing to buy another one.

my trick ive alys used for the grill is I never clean it till the next time I bbq..the oils keep it lubercated and will never rust..I see alot of peeps wrap their grills in tin foil...big no no..fastest way to rot a grill..they never get oil and well put 2+2 together
my side pot is stainless so im lucky I guess but the frame isnt...I got tonnes of undersurface rust I have to deal with and the bbq is 4-5 years old...time for the sander and tremclad

I really dont know right now about the reason or facts about grills rusting away or to keep them longer, I just dont know. but I dont do anything to my grills except taking a wire brush to the rack & thats more like 50/50 if I do or dont :lol:

I'm kinda kicking myself for not spending the extra money for stainless steel, thinking I'd save some money but am I really saving money if I need to buy another one down the road ? I know the one I have will last some more years but if I had a stainless I wouldnt even need to worry about it or even buy another almost ever again!

I guess you could say if you're gonna do it, do it right! spend the extra money for a stainless steel model IF you can afford it.

Canuk Pepperhead said:
I was looking at one at wallymart that was gas but feom all the reading I have been doing I found a nice one at lowes..Problem is they still havnt built a lowes yet the next city over..Mind toy I found the equivalent at Home depo I think ill pick up this spring

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber of course the side box is extra and it looks like the price has gone up since I looked last

I have the Char-Griller like that very similar you'll love it but I dont think that price includes the side fire box just make sure you get that!

Okie -- I like that one alot! I like the two "zones" on it

Oiling the grates of a grill with spent frying oil does wonders. Lube it before use and after you scrub it and it won't rust or stick.

Back