• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smokin' Piggy's Loins--Oh My!

Got a good deal on a 4.5lb pork loin so I thought it was time to do some more smokin'. On the gas grill again with the smoke box, charcoal and JD's smokin' chips.

First off is the line up of spices for the rub. The one hiding is black peppercorns and I forgot to put the coriander in the photo but it is in the rub.

IMG_5253re.jpg

Here's what it looks like all together:

IMG_5256re.jpg

Here's the piggy:

IMG_5258re.jpg

I love these loins, so easy to cook.

Here it is undressed prior to my trimming the fat:

IMG_5261are.jpg

More to come, it's still on the grill.

cant wait for the finishing pics

what temp do you cook your loins to? i let them cook until it reaches 145*F ish and let the residual heat take it the rest of the way

Forgot this one, the post rub shot:

IMG_5264are.jpg

Here it is in all it's glory.

IMG_5267re.jpg

It finished very juicy with the seasoned crust melting in your mouth. I love brown sugar in rubs!!

TB I ended up just removing the extra layer on the right side. Left a little behind.

Bam, I pulled it off at 150F and wrapped it in foil and started working on the beans. Got to have beans with smoked piggy. Little extra brown sugar and a bit of molasses and bingo, beans!

Lucky do you use a dry rub and let it sit overnight or is it wet?

I think I'm going to tackle a beef brisket next. Anyone got a killer recipe for one?

I'm really liking this smoking thang!

Looks good. I've never smoked a loin before I'll have to give it a go. How long did you smoke it? I usually smoke pork shoulder (butt) for 10 hours, but by the time it's ready i'm usually falling over as the keg is right next to the grill... It would be nice to be able to eat after a few hours of cooking and while I can still stand.

patrick said:
Lucky do you use a dry rub and let it sit overnight or is it wet?

I think I'm going to tackle a beef brisket next. Anyone got a killer recipe for one?

I'm really liking this smoking thang!

i have 2 killer recipes for brisket... the first is the best IMHO... the rub consists of...salt and pepper..thats it

the second is a little more of a process to do and not conventional in the least

this recipe is from fellow Q'er on another forum i am on

Smoky Okie

http://www.recipezaar.com/The-Beefiest-Juiciest-Brisket-What-Am-the-Smokyokie-Method-207187

LGHT said:
Looks good. I've never smoked a loin before I'll have to give it a go. How long did you smoke it? I usually smoke pork shoulder (butt) for 10 hours, but by the time it's ready i'm usually falling over as the keg is right next to the grill... It would be nice to be able to eat after a few hours of cooking and while I can still stand.

smoking a 4-5lb pork loin takes about 3 hours tops...take the internal temp to 140-145ish...pull it off, let it rest in foil if desired..residual heat will ocok it the rest of the way..

i Q loins differently everytime...one time i will inject/marinate..another i will rub...or another i will just let the flavor of the smoke do its work... it is all good when you smoke it

LGHT said:

I kinda remember those days LGHT ha! Bam's right on the money with the time, took me three hours on the dot on the grill then about another 15-20 minutes wrapped in the foil. It was very tasty.

In fact I'm sitting here right now grinding on some chopped up piggy with a splash or two of "Grumpy's Private Reserve Goodnight Loving" BBQ Sauce open face style. Nom nom!

I have an award winning recipe for brisket that I stole from one of those competitions on tv. A 5-6 lb brisket rubbed in salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and oregano. Then smoked at 225F for twelve hours over two thirds oak and one third mesquite. Pull it off and let it rest for about 40 minutes. Slice thin and serve with your favorite bbq sauce.

Back